Question Can I upgrade to Win 10 pro using Win 7 pro OEM product key?

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Hello,

I have an old Dell with Windows 7 pro OEM. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 pro using my windows 7 pro product key?

What are my options?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Depends on what kind of OEM key. Since we're talking about a Dell, I'm assuming it has a SLIC key embedded in the BIOS. In which case 10 should register and activate automatically.

Since I'm not in the US, I don't know the view on system builder keys.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Depends on what kind of OEM key. Since we're talking about a Dell, I'm assuming it has a SLIC key embedded in the BIOS. In which case 10 should register and activate automatically.

Since I'm not in the US, I don't know the view on system builder keys.

It is an old Dell windows 7 pro computer so no embedded key to m9therboard. I have a product ID sticker located on the case itself. Actually, from other forum comments online it looks like it might work afterall. I will try it.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
If you are upgrading, you won't need a key at all. Just did my neighbors last weekend. I updated his current install, and it activated just fine, and gave him a digital license. Then I pulled out the HD and put in an SSD for a clean install. No key was ever needed. If you do the clean install after updating, just choose "I don't have a product key" when it asks.

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Use a Image Clone program to back up the laptop to an external Drive (or to the desktop if both computers Network).

Example - https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Down load the Media Tool from Microsoft.

Choose option 2 by using 8GB USB and make it a Bootable Win 10 Media.

If you want to maintain the programs and files from Win 7 run the media Tool USB from wihin the Win 7.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It might be that Win 10 Activation will not be immediately some time it can take 24-36 hours until the Activation server takes cars of the new installation. Never the less you can use Win 10 unactivated for a while.

Upgrading components like GPU and HD/SSD is Ok it will not harm the activation.

:cool:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
If you are upgrading, you won't need a key at all. Just did my neighbors last weekend. I updated his current install, and it activated just fine, and gave him a digital license. Then I pulled out the HD and put in an SSD for a clean install. No key was ever needed. If you do the clean install after updating, just choose "I don't have a product key" when it asks.

Upgrading still works, MS just isn't advertising it. It's a (light) grey area though. But if it activates, I personally don't see any problem.