Can I transplant a dell optiplex 3046 onto a h170 motherboard

Feb 23, 2014
I have ordered a dell optiplex 3046 desktop in hopes of adding a gtx 1070 to it by changing its power supply. Turns out that dell implements proprietary connectors for powering its motherboard. Now i am thinki: if I buy a h170 motherboard and salvage the CPU,ram,ssd from the optiplex, will it run fine? I am not bothered about voiding the warranty, also I have my own copy of win 8 is which I shall install on it. Kindly help. Optiplex config: I5 6500 8gb ddr4 ram 256gb ssd. also, space isn't a constraint as I shall be using nzxt source 530 as case and cooler master 600w PSU.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Should work fine, although the better solution would be to simply cancel (or return) the optiplex 3046 purchase. It also seems possible that the optiplex 3046 motherboard would be a standard mATX board, so that only the case and power supply would need to be replaced.
But: I'm unable to find an online owner's manual for that system.
Should be here:
http://www.dell.com/learn/in/en/inbsd1/productassets/ac-optiplex-3046-desktop-support

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
I am really curious why you ordering branded desktop computer only to part it and install with new mobo elsewhere? I don't think its initial price will be any lower than getting the components you need in retail boxes.

Feb 23, 2014
I am really curious why you ordering branded desktop computer only to part it and install with new mobo elsewhere? I don't think its initial price will be any lower than getting the components you need in retail boxes.

Its actually company funded purchase, but policy instructs strictly branded oems, not assembled ones... So that's a nice way to get new hardware after remaining with q9550 and p45 from 2010 onwards...:)

Allowance is inr 35000, which is around 500$...

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
How powerful is the Dell PSU? You might be able to get away with an RX 480 on the original Dell hardware.

The path you're on sounds like you're building an entirely new computer, except for the CPU.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Its actually company funded purchase, but policy instructs strictly branded oems, not assembled ones... So that's a nice way to get new hardware after remaining with q9550 and p45 from 2010 onwards...:)

Allowance is inr 35000, which is around 500$...

So: does "the company" have any requirements that this new computer stays as configured when purchased, or do they permit modifications? If you switch components to a new case, power supply, and (maybe) motherboard, does "the company" care that the warranty has now been voided?
Is this new PC going to be located on "company" property, or at your own residence?
Could you simply re-sell the new Dell machine "as is" and then use the cash to purchase your own choice of CPU, memory, motherboard, & etc.?
Would the "company" Windows license still be able to be used on such a completely "home built" machine?
Or would you also need to purchase your own Windows license?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2014
The company only specifies that the home desktop PC should be prebuilt from any of the following brands: dell, Sony,apple,microsoft,Lenovo at the time of purchase.

No information has been specified about modifications done after purchase.

The PC is not for company use, it is for home use, and will b placed at residence.

I wouldn't be selling PC because here its resale value is quite diminished,

Thats why I have configured it with i5 6500, 2*4gb ddr4, 256gb ssd, Ubuntu 14.04 so I won't be craving for a better hardware anyways, just be adding a new gfx card.

I own a windows 8 copy, so won't be using company windows license.

I just want to know if the i5 6500 and ram and ssd of the optiplex shall work or not if paired with another motherboard.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2014
How powerful is the Dell PSU? You might be able to get away with an RX 480 on the original Dell hardware.

The path you're on sounds like you're building an entirely new computer, except for the CPU.
Dell PSU is 240w 92% efficiency...

Feb 23, 2014
It would be even better if there was a safe way of putting in a 1070 gtx and using another PSU to power it... I am scared about this idea because dell motherboard has proprietary 8 pin main power connector instead of standard atx 24 pin... So I don't know if adding a powerful GPU will draw 75 watts or more from pcie socket leading to motherboard/stock psu getting overloaded...

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you can "return to sender" the Dell machine and re-order some other PC that uses a standard power supply, that would be ideal.
Even if the inr ~35000 (~$500 USD) budget only permits a Haswell based system, instead of a Skylake system.
A recent online offer for a brand new Lenovo low-end workstation that includes a Xeon CPU, 4 Gb memory, mid-tower case.
http://slickdeals.net/f/8854867-len...r3-450w-psu-400-free-shipping-ebay-daily-deal
That's via a U.S. based online retailer.

To answer your other question: no, don't even consider trying to add a 2nd power supply + a more power hungry video card into that Dell system.
There are some external GPU housings available, but those wouldn't be very cost effective.

Last edited:

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just want to know if the i5 6500 and ram and ssd of the optiplex shall work or not if paired with another motherboard.

Should work fine, as long as the memory is the same form factor: not SoDimms, as used mostly in laptops.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2014
If you can "return to sender" the Dell machine and re-order some other PC that uses a standard power supply, that would be ideal.
Even if the inr ~35000 (~$500 USD) budget only permits a Haswell based system, instead of a Skylake system.
A recent online offer for a brand new Lenovo low-end workstation that includes a Xeon CPU, 4 Gb memory, mid-tower case.
http://slickdeals.net/f/8854867-len...r3-450w-psu-400-free-shipping-ebay-daily-deal
That's via a U.S. based online retailer.

To answer your other question: no, don't even consider trying to add a 2nd power supply + a more power hungry video card into that Dell system.
There are some external GPU housings available, but those wouldn't be very cost effective.
Actually 500$ is the amount that will get reimbursed, anything extra is allowed and will be paid by my pocket...
The dell system configured that way is the cheapest skylake offering from dell which could be "configured " and then bought , and comes to around 700$, so I am paying 200$ extra from my pocket...

I searched the net for other brands , and apart from an hp z240 which costs 1000$, I couldn't find anything nice or capable... Importing would be pretty pesky that's why I shall avoid imports.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
dell motherboard has proprietary 8 pin main power connector instead of standard atx 24 pin.

There may be an adapter cable. Don't know for sure, but if the Optiplex motherboard could be re-used with only a replaced PSU and case, then: money saved.

Feb 23, 2014
There may be an adapter cable. Don't know for sure, but if the Optiplex motherboard could be re-used with only a replaced PSU and case, then: money saved.
Exactly! Just ordered one of those cables, shall try to update once they arrive...

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Have you looked into this:

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell...24%2dPin-to-8%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

Dell_OptiPlex_3020_PSU_Main_Power_24-Pin_to_8-Pin_Adapter_Cable_%2830cm%29_%281%29__06259_zoom.jpg

Feb 23, 2014
Hi,

So finally an update to this thread:

1. My 24 pin to 8 pin adapter arrived.

2. I cancelled 3046 optiplex, and went for optiplex 7040 mini tower with i7 6700, 16gb ram, 512gb m.2 nvme (Toshiba).

3. the desktop arrived on 19th august 2016, and I was able to run my older PSU (Cooler Master Extreme Power 600W) using the adapter, although the cabinet couldn't fit the PSU, so it lies just outside.

4. I disabled the secure boot and installed a TP-link wifi module to PCIe x1 slot: Wifi is working great.

5. I installed my old Palit GTX 560 1GB within the system, and with latest nvidia drivers, the gpu runs great.

6. I installed a copy of Windows 10 64 bit using my keys of Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit, and the key was accepted (on 20th August!) so I am fortunate it got activated even after 29th July!

7. I ran a couple of benchmarks, the system seems to run fine , although the gpu temps are a bit higher because of the lower airflow in the puny chassis.

Thanks a ton guys for your help! I really appreciate it!