Can I still RMA the IBM HDD if I don't have the receipt? What sort of drive will I get for return? Another 75GXP?

j@cko

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2000
I cannot find the receipt... I think I threw it out already...... :(
It's a 45gig 75GXP.

Okay, it's RMA... but I somehow typed it wrong as RAM...

lebe0024

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
yeah bro. Just go on their website (it's hard to navigate, but look hard) and find their HD warrenty RMA page. It asks you for your model # and Serial number. They don't care where you bought it from. All HD's have 3 year warrenty (I think). I've RMA'd 4 so far. You ship it to them, and you get a new one back via Air Mail in about a week and a half after you ship. pretty speedy if you ask me.

lebe0024

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
I got a 60 GXP for my old 75GXP. You will DEFINITELY get a 60. If you wait long enough, you may get a 120.

lebe0024

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
OEM doesn't matter. They warranty all desktop harddrives for 3 years. Every HD I've purchased has been OEM.

j@cko

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2000
I think I'll use my Quantum right now, and RMA the IBM later to get a better chance getting a 120GXP.
My IBM is made in the Dec. 2000. So I still have a year left in the warranty, so I guess I'll mail it in like couple months later or something like that.

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002

<< I got a 60 GXP for my old 75GXP. You will DEFINITELY get a 60. If you wait long enough, you may get a 120. >>

Sorry, wrong. I RMAed my drive recently, ended up with a refurb 75GXP. You can never be sure what you end up getting. Personally, I think they just send out whatever the last guy who returned a drive sent them :(

Mitzi

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2001

<< I think I'll use my Quantum right now, and RMA the IBM later to get a better chance getting a 120GXP.
My IBM is made in the Dec. 2000. So I still have a year left in the warranty, so I guess I'll mail it in like couple months later or something like that.
>>

I doubt you'll ever get a 120GXP - even if you want a couple of months. They will always have stocks of refurbs which will be used for RMAs.

tgillitzr

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
I hightly doubt you'll get a 120GXP, but when you call and get your RMA number, ASK for the replacement to be a 60GXP. Thats what I did on my last two 75GXP's. They had to run it through a supervisor first, but it was approved.

Now I just have to wait two weeks to get my drives.

IBM sucks

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Yep. Personally I have had no problems with the 75GXP, but I think it has a lot to do with keeping the drive cool (weird that tgillitzer and I were just talking about this).

You WON'T get a 120. And as tgillitzer said, if you ASK for a 60GXP you MIGHT get one because of the class action law suit filed against IBM for the failure rate of IBM hard drives.

To answer your original question: You don't need a receipt, just the manufacturer's serial number and a reason for return. Use the IBM diagnostic software to find a more legitamite reason for return. this will put leverage in your favor for not getting another 75GXP. If you call them and just tell them "the drive is bad", you will likely not get anything at all.