Can i start grad studies in Physics+Chemistry with a bach in Computer Engineering?

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
I want to get a PhD in both Physics and Chemistry but also wanted a bach in Computer Engineering.

Do I need a bach in Physics and Chemistry to start a PhD in them?

Or would my bach in Computer Engineering will allow me to?

Nov 8, 2012
I want to get a PhD in both Physics and Chemistry but also wanted a bach in Computer Engineering.

Do I need a bach in Physics and Chemistry to start a PhD in them?

Or would my bach in Computer Engineering will allow me to?
Lol. Typical kid. I want to conquer the world!

Then the real world smashed their head into the wallet with mallet to bring them back to reality.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The answer is always "maybe". How much math, physics, and chemistry did you take in your undergrad years? There are three hurdles to getting into grad school. First you have to get past the grad school admissions criteria which are usually straight up grade point, GRE score, and correct prerequisite classes. Second, you need to get past the department criteria which are usually grade point, GRE, and undergrad class mix. Third, at least one prof in the department has to express sufficient interest in having you as a student to almost, but not quite, commit to hiring you as a TA or RA.

Last edited:

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
The answer is always "maybe". How much math, physics, and chemistry did you take in your undergrad years? There are three hurdles to getting into grad school. First you have to get past the grad school admissions criteria which are usually straight up grade point, GRE score, and correct prerequisite classes. Second, you need to get past the department criteria which are usually grade point, GRE, and undergrad class mix. Third, at least one prof in the department has to express sufficient interest in having you as a student to almost, but not quite, commit to hiring you as a TA or RA.

All true enough, and "maybe" might be technically the correct answer -- but only in the same way that it is the correct answer to: "have I just picked the winning lottery numbers". You really should plan on having an undergraduate degree in the field you wish to do graduate work in.

Assuming you are not yet in college, I suggest you apply to schools with strong programs (preferably including graduate programs) in all three fields, take a few courses in each, and see what you want to do from there.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Usually, if you have a BS in pretty much anything, you can get a MS and then a PHD easily.