Can I spraypaint the Pioneer Slot Load Drive Black?

SonicFlux

Mar 9, 2000
I was also wondering this since my next case might be black and all my front plates are white.

Has anyone had problems spray painting a slot load drive, or any other front panel for that matter?

SocrPlyr

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
i have heard of a lot of people doing this but i wouldn't do it unless i could remove the faceplate and do it w/o/ the rest of the drive...

Josh

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
I painted mine metallic blue w/o any problems. The face does come on and snap back on with ease. The zip drive was harder for me to paint because although the face comes off, you have to put the power button back in proper position.

yourharddrive

Banned
Jul 16, 2001

<< You can buy a black drive from directron.com >>

thanks...but its expensive and its not a slot load but since ucdnam confirmed it i think ill get a pioneer slot and spray it? any suggestions to which brand of paint i should use?

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
A "Sanford Sharpie Permanent Marker" black felt-tip pen, from your local office-supply store, may do a better job than paint.
Also works for writing labels on CD discs.

Booty

Aug 4, 2000
I don't know about the permanent marker...I've tried, and they end up looking kinda 'streaky'. I'd go ahead and paint it...I haven't done it with a pioneer, but it was no problem to take the face plate off one of my other (Asus) cdroms to paint it blue. I'm sure it's just as easy on almost any cd-rom.

After spray painting it, I'd put a protective coating (can't remember off hand what the stuff's called) over it, because I've had problems with the spray paint chipping off...maybe that's just me though. Good luck!

nortexoid

Diamond Member
May 1, 2000
sharpies suck for making things look consistent on plastic.

use paint

i've painted all my rom drives w/out even taking the face plates off...in fact, i tried it on my floppy first...the metallic color paint i used (silver/metallic) went right over the LEDs but they still light up like there's no paint on them...no problems at all..looks good.

but for slot, i'd take the plate off...shouldn't be a problem (as long as u don't sand the surface too smooth, unless u like a glossy look..yuk)...

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I've painted all my slot loading Pioneer drives black and I've done a couple of tray loading drives. ALL of tehm come out PERFECT and look like they were made that way. Pro all the way! All you need is some Krylon Semi-Flat black paint and you are good to go. I'm glad you are painting your drive because I've seen people get cool black cases and still have beige drives in it. Just gay as hell! And YES, take the ENTIRE face plate apart and paint each part individually. On the Pioneer drive, you'll need to take the button, LED cover, and the felt off (the slot filter). Now just paint each part separately and your good to go.

P.S. The Semi-Flat black color will match black cases but not the Antec SX1030B charcaol black (grey, if you ask me) case.

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
If you're lazy and don't take off the faceplate, please use some tape and cover up the slot and the LED. Also, the recommendation of a clear coat/ protective coat is a good idea. I've painted my case and drives. W/O the clear coat, the paint chips and scratches really easily. I sprayed several clear coats and it's nice.