can i setup ISRT with a non RAID motherboard

SRC_S

Nov 21, 2014
hey there i was wondering if i could setup Intel smart response technology(ISRT) on a non RAID motherboard with 20GB of mSATA SSD... i mean the only two boot options available in my motherboard are AHCI and IDE...

P.S. it's actually an ultrabook with 20GB SSD and 320GB HDD (Acer Aspire S3-951)... please don't recommend me expresscache as it doesn't work with me.... expresscache fills up the ssd after a few days, flushes all the data in the ssd and starts caching again... and the system becomes as slow as hell... soo i'd appreciate if anyone recommends me any other free 3rd party caching software only if i can't get ISRT working..

thanks!

Jovec

Feb 24, 2008
No, you need the Sata controller in RAID mode.

This may not be the answer you want to hear, but just invest in a 120GB drive or larger. MX100s are around $70.

Installing Windows in 20GB is possible, but using it will be painful as you will need to constantly clean up Update files and the winsxs dir, move the pagefile, disable or move the hibernation file, disable/delete restore points, and move the home dirs / user libraries.

I have a 20GB 311 previously used for SRT that I am struggling to find a second life for. A fresh Win7 install with WU patches leaves about 3GB free. Win 8.1 leaves a bit more free. Ubuntu won't install unless I manually partition (on 16GB RAM, since it wants to create a 16GB swap partition, leaving less than 4GB for the system).

Last edited: