Can I run AMD and Nvidia GPUs simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by SickBeast, Dec 7, 2010.

1. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

I have a CrossFire-enabled motherboard. I need to upgrade my GPU. I'm wondering if I can use my 8800GTS as a PhysX/CUDA card while using an AMD card for gaming.

Could I even use 2 Nvidia cards in my rig, with the 8800GTS acting as a PhysX-only GPU for gaming?

TIA

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Nvidia GPUs simultaneously Forum Date
    Nvidia explores ways of cramming many GPUs onto one package (The Tech Report) Video Cards and Graphics Jul 3, 2017
    [PCGamesn Rumor]Nvidia’s next-gen Volta GPUs to get a little die-shrink after all Video Cards and Graphics Jan 28, 2017
    [RWT] Tile-based Rasterization in Nvidia GPUs Video Cards and Graphics Aug 1, 2016
    Nvidia GPUs being used in 21st century AEGIS competitor Video Cards and Graphics Jun 3, 2016
    Anybody else unimpressed with new midrange Nvidia GPUs, and much higher MSRP? Video Cards and Graphics May 6, 2016

3. lavaheadache

lavaheadache Diamond Member

yes you can to both questions

in order to use an AMD card with the 8800 you'll need to use geforce drivers 157.15. I have these if you can't find them cause i did the same thing you are trying to do

4. lavaheadache

I'm also assuming that you have windows 7

5. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

I do.

Thank-you very much for the offer. I'll let you know if and when I do it. I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a GTX 460 or else an AMD 6850.

6. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

How do you find the performance boost BTW? Does it make a big difference in PhysX games?

7. exar333

exar333 Diamond Member

I think it's silly you can't run a NV card for Physx with a AMD card. I would have bought one a while back to pair with my 5870 if current drivers allowed.

8. lavaheadache

you CAN, just need to use a specific driver.... 257.15

9. lavaheadache

The big difference is actually being able to use physx with an AMD GPU doing the rendering.

As far as the performance increase when using a dedicated physx card along side of an Nvidia card, the answer is a definite ..... Depends on the game and on the primary GPU.

Lets say i popped and 8600 gts for physx in with my GTX 580 I would lose performance in games that 580 had plenty of power to spare

10. happy medium

happy medium Lifer

You can have your crossfire board use this SLi hack and use 2 Nvidia cards.
    It worked for my motherboard.

http://xdevs.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.30

11. mizzou

mizzou Diamond Member

X-fire mobo here (socket AM2+)

I use a ATI 4850 in one slot and a 6600GT in the other to drive my third monitor

12. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

NO kidding HM, wow I didn't know that. Soo whats the deal I have 2 PCIe 16x slots and a free PCIe power cable

I was thinking of running 8800GT as physx and a GTX 460. Soo I can do this HM? my brother. Thanks,, gg and gb,

13. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

A friend of my co-worker claims he has an HD 6800 card running with an nVidia card for PhysX. I've been wondering how to do this myself. I've got a CrossfireX board. Wouldn't mind tossing a cheap nVidia card in there for that.

14. cusideabelincoln

cusideabelincoln Diamond Member

There is a set of older Nvidia drivers that allow you to use an Nvidia card for PhysX even if an AMD card is in the system. I do not know the specific driver off the top of my head, but somebody around here does so they'll fill you in shortly.

15. nanaki333

nanaki333 Diamond Member

yeah. someone already said it. interesting stuff for sure. even a low-end nvidia card that supports physx will help even a high end AMD card.

16. OCGuy

OCGuy Lifer

Looks like you can.

17. Modular

Modular Diamond Member

That is awesome. I'm always concerned about something like this really screwing with PC security though. This is obviously a translated site, who knows who the developers are...

18. biostud

biostud Lifer