Can I run 2 power supplies for 1 computer?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tigersty1e, May 24, 2007.

1. tigersty1e

tigersty1e Golden Member

2. Fullmetal Chocobo

Fullmetal Chocobo Moderator<br>Distributed Computing

Yes, and I have done this before in my previous machine. You will need a way to turn on the seconday PSU--it can be done with a switch going to the black & green wires of the 24p connector. You can also turn it on with a paperclip or something going to the same wires (don't worry about getting shocked or anything, it's only a signal line), but a switch is by far more convenient.

3. mechBgon

mechBgon Super Moderator<br>Elite Member

Bigger picture: if you have a "500-watt" power supply that can't run an E6300 and a 7950GT, you probably should get a real 500-watt power supply, before it fries something. maybe this one?

(just sayin'... ;))

4. Laputa

Laputa Golden Member

Fullmetal Chocobo is right. You can do that of you have a spare PS to play with. If it has a switch on it, it will even be better since all you need is to connect the green wire to the black wire to complete the circuit. Flip the switch on the other PS & you are set.

5. Zepper

Zepper Elite Member

It's an old style PSU with only 20A total on the +12 rail. So even though it is a junk bucket of a PSU, it is probably running in spec and just lacks the connector or doesn't have enough +12 to run the system plus the card. Using another PSU to power the vid card is a good idea, but you will also want to put some load on the +5 of the extra PSU as well maybe hook up a drive or two to it as well as the vid card. There are circuit diagrams around for powering up (and down) secondary PSUs either manually or automatically,

Or you could just buy one of the PSUs I'm selling. Click the link in my sig. They aren't pretty but will do the job for you.

.bh.

6. dguy6789

dguy6789 Diamond Member

7. Don66

Don66 Platinum Member

No offence to the op...

Why do people spend good money on most of their system then get cheap on the power supply?

8. gwag

gwag Senior member

still using a cheap PS, after 3 years no issues...

9. tigersty1e

tigersty1e Golden Member

Have you heard bad things about my PSU besides the fact that it's old school and won't run new components (like PCIE cards)?

10. dguy6789

dguy6789 Diamond Member

We have not heard bad things about it. The problem with your psu is that we have not heard good things about it. In the power supply world, if your power supply is not from a known brand, it automatically is a waste of money. Antec, Fortron, Seasonic, Enermax, OCZ, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling. Those are all brands that offer incredibly high quality products.

Your "500W" power supply is $50. A real 500W power supply is closer to $100. Take a look.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194003

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151027

A power supply is the only part in your entire machine that is capable of destroying ever other part in your machine. You want to be extremely picky when selecting one.

If you look simply at the rails on your power supply, you will find some problems. 20 amps on the 12 volt rail is very poor. Ever power supply I listed above can deliver at least double that. Also, keep in mind that there is an extremely high probability that the specs on your power supply are faulty. In all probability, it cannot pump out the power it claims for any significant period of time.

Cheaper power supplies are also made of cheaper parts. Your power supply will die much quicker than one from a brand I listed. Yours will also not be able to handle power fluctuations from the wall outlet anywhere near as well as a good one.

Power supplies are just one of those necessities that one can't skimp out on.

11. Zepper

Zepper Elite Member

"Have you heard?... "

Apex/Allied have been around a long time in the budget PSU category and are one step up the PSU food chain from L&C/Deer. Maybe on the level of Powmax. Because it came in an aluminum box with an LED fan, you paid the price of a real PSU for a $25. unit. At least you didn't get it as badly as the original purchasers of the Ultra modular PSU - they paid $100. and up for a blinged-up $25. unit...

.bh.

12. tigersty1e

tigersty1e Golden Member

13. mercanucaribe

mercanucaribe Banned

Who makes Thermaltake's PSUs?

14. Zepper

Zepper Elite Member

Well, it's an Ultra (part of the TigerDirect/Systemax group)... It's an old design with relatively low Amps on the +12 rail for a 600W PSU. There is no active PFC on this one thus no full range AC compensation. The one in my sig has nearly as many 12V Amps as that does (and it's only 380W rated) as well as active PFC and full range AC and over 80% efficiency from about 150W to over 300W output.

Ultra has been doing better lately on product quality but I still wouldn't buy one because of what they did with the original X-Connect. And it still looks like they don't use latching connectors on all their modular connections - so the cables could fall (or get pulled) out. I still don't recommend modular PSUs for the oft discussed reasons and especially those without all latching connections.

But it does look like it has the connector you need and enough 12V amps to back it up.

.bh.

15. TallBill

TallBill Lifer