Question Can i run 2 nvme drives at the same time with the MSI B550 MAG motherboard?

officialrelix

Nov 19, 2021
hey everyone I'm new to PC and I need help, I have a MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK AMD motherboard. I'm currently have a Corsair MP600 m.2 Pcie Gen 4/0 x4 nvme drive and i understand the 2nd slot has to be a 3.0 x4 nvem drive but im not sure what kind of speeds i need or what brand i should get . not sure if getting this drive would cause bottle necking either . PLEASE HELP!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yes, the M2 slot 1 supports up to NVMe 4.0 SSDs. The M2 slot 2 supports NVMe 3.0 SSDs. You can use both slots at the same time (I do on my B550 motherboard as well). The only thing is if you have additional PCIe devices installed in the E2 and E3 slot, it will limit the M2 slot 2 to x2 speeds instead of x4.
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C91v2.2.pdf

5.jpg

You could get about just about any NVMe 3.0 SSD that is large enough for your needs, as there isn't much real world difference.

Samsung's 980, Crucial P5, Intel 665P and 670P, and WD SN750 are a few choices that go on sale around the $100-$115 range for the 1TB size.

Reactions: knev and bigboxes

officialrelix

Nov 19, 2021
"The only thing is if you have additional PCIe devices installed in the E2 and E3 slot, it will limit the M2 slot 2 to x2 speeds instead of x4." I'm confused my this, what could i even put here? the bottom slot is ONLY for 3.0 no? I cant just slap a 3.0 nvme drive in there? Thank you for the help tho in giving me some brands for drives and for everything else definitely gave me some relief!

Remember I'm new to this All!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
"The only thing is if you have additional PCIe devices installed in the E2 and E3 slot, it will limit the M2 slot 2 to x2 speeds instead of x4." I'm confused my this, what could i even put here? the bottom slot is ONLY for 3.0 no? I cant just slap a 3.0 nvme drive in there? Thank you for the help tho in giving me some brands for drives and for everything else definitely gave me some relief!

Remember I'm new to this All!
Wifi adapters, NIC card, sound cards, etc.

Basically anything that can run in a x1 slot.

As for the x4 slot, most likely something like a NVMe add-in expansion card or other similar adapter