Can I plug my fans into the headers on my motherboard?

scrawnypaleguy

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2005
I want to plug my cpu fan and my rear case fan into the motherboard headers on my A8N-E so that they can be controlled by temperature, instead of me manually adjusting them. Here are the ratings specified by my motherboard manual:

"The fan connectors support cooling fans of 350mA~2000mA (24 W max.) or a total of 1A~3.48A (41.76 W max.) at +12V."

I want to plug in one Arctic Cooling 12025 fan, which appears to consume 0.13 Amp, and one Arctic Cooling AF12 fan which consumes 0.15 Amp, and I don't really know what all these amperage ratings mean. Can I safely plug both of these into my motherboard at the same time? These will be the only fans drawing power from it (there's no chipset or video card fan).

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Total of fans listed = 280mA. At those ratings it is unlikely that those fans will need any speed control at all. Probably should just run them full speed 24/7. Shouldn't be capable of much noise with those weeny power ratings.

.bh.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
I run three of my case fans on my motherboard (last 120 mm doesn't have a 3 pin connector) and I don't have any issues.

scrawnypaleguy

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2005
Another question: can I get a Y-adaptor and plug them both into the same header? It seems that my manual is wrong and only the CPU fan connector can be controlled via Q-fan.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: scrawnypaleguy
Another question: can I get a Y-adaptor and plug them both into the same header? It seems that my manual is wrong and only the CPU fan connector can be controlled via Q-fan.

Yes.

corsa

Nov 6, 2005
hi scrawnypaleguy, nice rig u have there (pics), just observed u have ur HD connected to SATA1 ....do u OC? if u are its recommended u have it on 3 or 4, as they are locked.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Let me modify Operandi's response. Yes, but only ONE fan's tach lead can be connected at a time to one header. If you want to monitor both fan's RPMs, then you'll have to connect one of their tach leads (usually yellow) to a different mobo fan header.

.bh.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Zepper
Let me modify Operandi's response. Yes, but only ONE fan's tach lead can be connected at a time to one header. If you want to monitor both fan's RPMs, then you'll have to connect one of their tach leads (usually yellow) to a different mobo fan header.

.bh.
Right, forgot about that. You should pull the yellow wire on one of the ends of the Y splitter so you don't get a mangled up tach signal from two fans into one header.

scrawnypaleguy

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2005
Ok cool, thanks guys. The second fan doesn't have tach output, only the cpu fan, so I don't have to worry about tracking them both.

Corsa: SATA 1 is not locked on the A8N-E? I thought all modern boards had them all locked so that you can overclock. Do you know this for a fact?

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I don't know about the nVidia based boards but my Asus A8R32-MVP Ati board I think has them all locked. At least, I'm OC'd by 30% and don't have any trouble with my HD in SATA1..... But could that be why I hit a hard wall all of a sudden?

Interesting, I might try switching to SATA3. Odd tho how 1 and 2 aren't locked but 3 and 4 are :confused:

corsa

Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: scrawnypaleguy
Corsa: SATA 1 is not locked on the A8N-E? I thought all modern boards had them all locked so that you can overclock. Do you know this for a fact?
It may well limit ur OC being on 1-2
Check this post out.