Can I plant grass seed after pre-emergent put down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Lawn company already put a pre-emergent down but I've got some really bad spots of bare dirt thanks to last year's heat. Scotts told me I could rake up the bare spots to break the pre-emergent.

Plus temps here have unusually been getting down to freezing so I've had to wait to put seed down. Would the patch stuff help by letting the seed germinate? But damn that stuff's expensive for the area I need and the spotchy aspects of my bare areas.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
A pre-emergent herbicide will inhibit germination of the grass seeds. Which chemical did they apply?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
A pre-emergent herbicide will inhibit germination of the grass seeds. Which chemical did they apply?

Yeah, that's why I'm kinda screwed. The lawn company is Scott's, so it was scott's "Haltz". I wanted to get the seed down before they applied it but temps didn't cooperate.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
The internets tell me that you need to wait four months before sowing seed. You certainly can try earlier, but you're probably just pouring your money down the drain because you'll get little to no germination.

Nov 5, 2001
some swear by priming seed by storing it in the freezer for couple of weeks prior to planting. it supposedly softens the seed shell to allow faster germination. This may be helpful....

Status
Not open for further replies.