Can I mount an A/C Sideways?

ckkoba

Dec 12, 2000
The Bay Area is so hot! Grrr, but I have this problem where I have a window opening that is 15.5 inches wide. There aren't that many A/C units that will fit such a narrow space so is there anything preventing me from mounting an A/C unit sideways?

T3C

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2003
no, cause the condinsation needs to drip out, if you do that it will drip in the a/c and on your floor and you will have a mess

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Huh, I don't really see any problem with mounting it sideways.. The condensation will still be able to drip out.

It might not be good for the compressor... but that's the only thing I can think of.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Eli
Huh, I don't really see any problem with mounting it sideways.. The condensation will still be able to drip out.

It might not be good for the compressor... but that's the only thing I can think of.

But the external part blows hot air....it would be like trying to cool your house by leaving your fridge open....

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero

But the external part blows hot air....it would be like trying to cool your house by leaving your fridge open....

I thought he meant just putting it in the window "sideways" (ie at a 90 degree angle to normal, but with the back still sticking out the back).

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Hector13
Originally posted by: Jzero

I thought he meant just putting it in the window "sideways" (ie at a 90 degree angle to normal, but with the back still sticking out the back).

Oh like vertically? I'm thinking he rotates it horizontally haha

Christof

Dec 18, 2002
Absolutely do not mount an A/C unit sideways. The refrigeration oil will get up into the valves and seize the compressor up. The compressor is hermetically sealed with the oil in the bottom where it is supposed to remain.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Christof
Absolutely do not mount an A/C unit sideways. The refrigeration oil will get up into the valves and seize the compressor up. The compressor is hermetically sealed with the oil in the bottom where it is supposed to remain.
That's what I was afraid of, but I wasn't sure if it would actually cause any problems or not.

How does the oil get circulated around the compressor?

Christof

Dec 18, 2002
There is an oil pump that mixes a small amount of oil with the refrigerant to keep everything lubed. When it mixes it is in mist form. Liquid oil will lock the compressor up just like liquid refrigerant will.

I was working in an ammonia refrigeration plant years ago when a 16 cylinder ammonia compressor took a slug of liquid. It blew 6 heads right off the compressor, broke 14 rods and broke the crank shaft (not to mention the ammonia leak it caused). What a mess that was!

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They make narrow A/C units for casement windows (that slide open sideways). That might work for you.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
There is an oil pump that mixes a small amount of oil with the refrigerant to keep everything lubed. When it mixes it is in mist form. Liquid oil will lock the compressor up just like liquid refrigerant will.

I was working in an ammonia refrigeration plant years ago when a 16 cylinder ammonia compressor took a slug of liquid. It blew 6 heads right off the compressor, broke 14 rods and broke the crank shaft (not to mention the ammonia leak it caused). What a mess that was!
Damn. :Q

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

Damn. :Q
Each cylinder has its own head? Is this a plunger-type compressor?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
ive seen them mounted sideways in allot of places. is it really that bad? because the apartment complex across from where i live the windows open from right to left and only open up big enough to put one in sideways. and 90% of them have done this

rectifire

Nov 10, 1999
Yes, definitely follow what the others are saying here.

DO NOT ever mount an air conditioner sideways (with the part that's supposed to be on the bottom being vertical) Like the others said, there is lubricating oil in the compressor that needs to stay on the bottom of the compressor, If you turn the A/C sideways, the oil will spill out from the bottom of the compressor and get into the refrigeration system. As anyone familiar with the principle of hydraulics knows.........liquids (in this case compressor lubricating oil) do not compress. You would destroy your A/C compressor very quickly.

The best thing I can compare this to is if the engine in your car got turned sideways or upside down. Large quantities of oil would then leak into the cylinders. When the pistons in your engine tried to compress the oil, the oil of course will not compress (unlike the regular air and fuel mixture.) The force of the moving piston will then be transferred to the engine itself, almost like if the piston hit the engine itself. Of course this means engine destruction.

In fact, many refrigerator and even A/C manufacturers recommend that you let your new refrigerator or A/C sit for one hour before you plug it in for the first time. This is because when you move an A/C or a refrigerator, you often must tip it at an extreme angle while moving it into position. The manufacturers are afraid of oil spilling out of the the compressor while you are tipping it. They recommend the 1 hour wait after installation and before power up in order to give the oil time to drain back into the compressor. This helps them avoid repair calls for blown compressors.

:)