Can I make an AMD Wraith SPIRE fit in intel socket 1155?

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Just bought a Ryzen 1700. Probably going to use my D14 from my last build on it, which leaves that build with no cooler.

Is there anyway to make this cooler fit a intel socket 1155? It would make things easy for me. If not then Ill have to pick up a cheap cooler for my old build, or upgrade from the D14 to something else for the new build.

Thanks

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
If you're willing to to the zip-tie route, you can mount pretty much anything to anything. If not, you'd probably have to make some sort of custom mounting adapter + a backplate.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
If you're willing to to the zip-tie route, you can mount pretty much anything to anything. If not, you'd probably have to make some sort of custom mounting adapter + a backplate.
Ah, not sure if Id go that far (zip-tie).

I guess I could try to sell the stock cooler? I was just hoping that theyd make a cooler that could also be used on other sockets (like if it werent made by amd or something).

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Ah, not sure if Id go that far (zip-tie).

I guess I could try to sell the stock cooler? I was just hoping that theyd make a cooler that could also be used on other sockets (like if it werent made by amd or something).
Why on earth would they add the expense of multi-socket compatibility to a stock cooler only bundled with CPUs meant for one specific socket? Outside of various Intel socket 11XX stock coolers being compatible due to identical mounting holes and AMD's clip system on FM2, AM3 and AM4, there's really no such thing. Making a stock cooler compatible with your competition would just be... weird.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Why on earth would they add the expense of multi-socket compatibility to a stock cooler only bundled with CPUs meant for one specific socket? Outside of various Intel socket 11XX stock coolers being compatible due to identical mounting holes and AMD's clip system on FM2, AM3 and AM4, there's really no such thing. Making a stock cooler compatible with your competition would just be... weird.
I didnt know if wraith was a cooler that was also available to purchase standalone - maybe made by a different company. In that case then yea - why would they make a different cooler if they can just bundle the one they already have and label it AMD.

Also - it would increase the value of the cooler - since people would value the cooler more if it could be used on more than one socket (not saying this is what they did, just saying this would be the case)

Also your second sentence kind of addresses my original question - im trying to get this to fit an older socket 1155. Would this be possible?

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Also your second sentence kind of addresses my original question - im trying to get this to fit an older socket 1155. Would this be possible?
I meant that the Intel coolers are compatible with each other (despite different sockets) ;) Same goes for clip-mounted AMD coolers, but not screw-mounted.

Am4 uses a rectangular mounting hole setup, while Intel uses a square setup. As such, there's no way they'd be compatible without significant modifications.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
I meant that the Intel coolers are compatible with each other (despite different sockets) ;) Same goes for clip-mounted AMD coolers, but not screw-mounted.

Am4 uses a rectangular mounting hole setup, while Intel uses a square setup. As such, there's no way they'd be compatible without significant modifications.
Ah, didnt know if there were some kid of conversion kit that worked on multiple coolers. Gonna just roll with the wraith cooler on my new build, keep the D14 on my old system, and at some point down the road Ill upgrade from the wraith if I need to.

TedVitale

Jun 29, 2021
So I just came across this on the LTT forums for whoever is interested.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
So I just came across this on the LTT forums for whoever is interested.

That's genius, actually! I also like the recommendation for using ABS instead of PLA...