Can I install Windows 8 if there's no product key sticker? (Solved)

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
So here's the story.

I have a Laptop that originally came with Windows 8. However, it was used in a corporate environment where it was reimaged with Windows 7 or 8 enterprise and a Volume License Key and was then upgraded to Windows 10 a while ago. The laptop is out of warranty so we want to reinstall windows back to a non-enterprise edition so the laptop can be used as a personal laptop.

Normally we just reinstall whatever version of Windows is on the Product Key sticker and be done with it but some of the laptops don't have any stickers. The current one I have has a "Windows 8 Pro" sticker on the back but it's not a product key label.

I know that sometimes keys are somehow embedded in BIOS but I don't know if that's affected by us putting Win10 on it and now going back to 8.

Any suggestions on what we can do? Can I just install Windows 8 and will it just work? Is there something else I can do?

Thanks!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Should just be able to install Windows 8(8.1) using MS Media Creation Tool, and it should pick up the key embedded in the BIOS. At least, that's how commercially-sold laptops of that era worked. I don't know about upgrading to 10, though.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Yeah, I found an 8.1 OEM ISO and installed it and it did activate just fine. Thanks.