Can I install a Dell Windows XP OS on a non Dell computer?

trunsk86

Dec 4, 2004
K well I cannot install my windows XP disc on my new built computer because it is an upgrade disc and has no drivers on it at all. Is it possible to just use my Dell Windows XP disc and install it on the computer.

Thanks alot oin advance.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
it should not allow you to install.
it will scan your hardware and then realize you dont have a dell or the correct model, so no. you cant.

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
Originally posted by: batmang
it should not allow you to install.
it will scan your hardware and then realize you dont have a dell or the correct model, so no. you cant.

I have used a Dell disc to install XP on a home-built machine without any problems. Maybe the newer discs scan for Dell hardware, but mine did not.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
The dell disc I have seemed to be just like any other windows disc, tried it on an emachine and it didn't do anything abnormal.

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz
More then likely, the license doesn't allow it, even if you could succesfully install it.

I installed and activated a Dell disc on a home-built machine. No proablems at all.

timswim78

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Nothinman
I installed and activated a Dell disc on a home-built machine. No proablems at all.

Irrelevant, it's still illegal.

From my understanding, the OP asked if he could use the Dell disc, not the Dell license. That is what I did. I used a non-Dell license with my Dell disc because the Dell disc has SP1. No problems.

I'm not a lawyer, so I cannot say if this is legal or not, but I do not see why it would be illegal.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
You should have said that in the first place, if the disc you got with your Dell was just a normal XP disc and you used a non-OEM license with the new install then it should be fine legally.