Can i force a lower maximum framerate?

lotusvibe

Jul 8, 2010
So i was wondering is there a way to force a lower framerate? I know your probably like what why the hell would you want a lower framerate?? Well hear me out.

Sometimes when i play demanding games like bad company 2, I am running at 60fps most of the time, but during high action sequences or at what seems like random times my framerate will drop down to the 40s usually not into the 30s but anyways it drops. In some games it bothers me more than others but sometimes I feel like i'd like to experiment with setting a lower maximum framerate. For example i feel i may enjoy a game more if it is consistant at 40 or 45 or possibly even 30fps for a game like crysis. The thing is i would rather have it be consistant all the time and look decent, then have buttery smooth 60fps only to notice a nasty drop during action. I come from console gaming so i can be satisfied with 30fps at the least, I just hate seeing the framerate drop it's very distracting to me. What can i do?

I notice in the Nvidia controls i can change my refresh rate between 60, 59, and 50 hertz, but I don't know if i should really change the signal type, as my displays are 60hz displays, I was looking more for a 3d override of sometype that simply forces my gpu to keep it a dictated framerate

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
This bugs me too. I use an application called FPSLimiter. It will limit the framerate to whatever you want, but it does not work with all games. Source games (except L4D1/2) also have an FPS limit command (fps_max XX).

Oct 16, 1999
What also might help is to enable triple buffering if you can (or force it with D3DOverrider). It can lessen sudden swings between fps peaks and drops.