Can I download Steam/D2D/ games at work and then take them home?

Feb 24, 2001
I don't need much bandwidth at home, just regular browsing and some lite online gaming. So a $25 a month 150KB connection is really all I need.

Now that some games are getting huge and I do have some Steam ones and others here and there (Bad Company 2), it'd be handy to be able to download them at 1MB+ speeds and throw them on a drive and take them home and install them.

There any way to do this?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Should work with D2D at least, the ones I've gotten from them have been an installer file.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
D2D - I believe so, because it just downloads the zip file(s).
Steam - you would need to copy the directory from your steam folder on your work PC to cd/dvd/external drive/flash drive and then copy it to the same directory in your home pc's steam folder.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
D2D - I believe so, because it just downloads the zip file(s).
Steam - you would need to copy the directory from your steam folder on your work PC to cd/dvd/external drive/flash drive and then copy it to the same directory in your home pc's steam folder.

Steam has the backup files option, but I've never used it so I don't know how well it would work.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why not just have the games download while you are sleeping or at work?

Feb 24, 2001
Download caps at home beats getting fired. Unless you administer the WAN at your workplace I would not recommend firing up steam and pulling down games.

Yeah I'm the admin. Same reason I don't need a fast processor for video encoding, just use the dual cpu Xeons after hours :D

I was kinda hoping to not have to install Steam, could just download a zip or EXE file.

No bandwidth cap, I can just never remember to start the download before I go to bed :(

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
$25 a month for 150kbit access? Where the heck do you live? I've seen DSL plans that have a around 5-7 megabit downstream for that much a month.