Can I count on a Full HD IPS screen being available for the laptop I buy?

PS85

Feb 10, 2014
Shopping for a laptop, would like a 17.3 inch Full HD with IPS screen. Saw one on the HP page on sale:
store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&urlLangId=&catEntryId=3074457345618585325&quantity=1&jumpid=ma_weekly_deals~laptops~19~cto~2YN36AV~HP_Laptop_-_17z_Best_Value_touch_optional

It's the configuration model # 2YN36AV_1

It's configurable. For $50 extra I can have a touchscreen with 1600 X 900 resolution.
For $100 extra I can have a 1920 X 1080 res. IPS screen.

Thing is, I would really like 1920 X 1080 resolution IPS touchscreen, which is not available at this time.

What if I bought this thing with its standard, stock screen with plans to put in an aftermarket Full HD IPS screen afterward? Could I count on such a thing being necessarily available for the computer? Since the stock screen doesn't cost extra, the Full HD IPS touch replacement screen usually run about $100. The optional nontouch Full HD IPS screen is $100. Can I be sure that when this computer gets delivered with a stock screen, a Full HS IPS touchscreen will be available to buy? Or should I just order the Full HD nontouch IPS screen to be sure?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
There is no guarantee that HP will add another screen option to an existing laptop model. Manufacturers rarely do that. Apart from small tweaks now and then, actual upgrades are usually reserved for the next model/replacement so that consumers have a reason to buy the new one.

Reactions: PS85

PS85

Feb 10, 2014
Thank you both for answering. I was afraid that would be the case.

On the same page as my prospective computer, is an HP Envy 17t and an HP Omen 17t, both with 17.3 Full HD IPS screens. Is there any way of finding out if either or those screens, (I suspect they might be the same one), can be fitted onto my prospective HP 17z?
http://store.hp.com/us/en/cv/weekly-deals?jumpid=ma_lt_hero_na_1_180103

Alternatively, is there any way of finding out what the number of those Envy and Omen Full HD, IPS touchscreens is so I can check it out against places which sell replacement screens to see if it will fit in the 17z I want to buy?

The sale price of the 17z, which HP said is a configurable model, is only guaranteed through today. Tomorrow, the sale is over, although they said they might keep the same price anyway on some models. It's a 2017 model, but they still will configure one for you.

Dunno if this is important, but the Envy and Omen with the Full HD IPS touchscreens stock have Intel boards and Nvidia graphics, the 17z I want to buy has an AMD A12 processor and Radeon R7 graphics.

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thank you both for answering. I was afraid that would be the case.

On the same page as my prospective computer, is an HP Envy 17t and an HP Omen 17t, both with 17.3 Full HD IPS screens. Is there any way of finding out if either or those screens, (I suspect they might be the same one), can be fitted onto my prospective HP 17z?
http://store.hp.com/us/en/cv/weekly-deals?jumpid=ma_lt_hero_na_1_180103

Alternatively, is there any way of finding out what the number of those Envy and Omen Full HD, IPS touchscreens is so I can check it out against places which sell replacement screens to see if it will fit in the 17z I want to buy?

The sale price of the 17z, which HP said is a configurable model, is only guaranteed through today. Tomorrow, the sale is over, although they said they might keep the same price anyway on some models. It's a 2017 model, but they still will configure one for you.

Dunno if this is important, but the Envy and Omen with the Full HD IPS touchscreens stock have Intel boards and Nvidia graphics, the 17z I want to buy has an AMD A12 processor and Radeon R7 graphics.
For that kind of information, I would recommend that you contact HP Support and ask them directly. There really isn't any way for anyone else to know if the parts are officially supported as interchangeable. Someone who owns the various models and is willing to dismantle them could possibly try it, but that's not always a reliable option.

Reactions: PS85

PS85

Feb 10, 2014
Well, that might take a little time. Based on your and Corkyg's answers, I went ahead and ordered the laptop with the nontouch Full HD IPS screen. Getting a touch Full HD IPS replacement screen for it is something that may or may not happen in the future, Meanwhile I didn't want to lose the chance of getting such a nice display, even if it's nontouch, when the sale is over tomorrow. The touchscreen was not nearly as important to me as the Full HD IPS screen. Thanks to you and Corkyg for clarifying the situation, it made the decision easier.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I support your decision. It should be a nice screen, plus I hate touch screens (who wants fingerprints all over their laptop display?) so I would choose the non-touch screen anyway. :)

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
I have to say though, touchscreens can have positives without actually using the touch part. The glass lets more light through than a matte and if you want to take one more step, you can apply a large polyurethane protector to the entire surface as well. You can't do much to protect a plastic matte sheet. I'm sure it could also help reduce lid flex, but this computer is also a mid size laptop with aluminum body so it was never slim to begin with.

Anyways... lcd comes in all shapes on sizes. Definitely do your research and take advantage of any notebook check reviews when ever possible.