Can I connect a gigabit switch to my router and still use the internet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SickBeast, Mar 3, 2011.

1. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if I can hook up a gigabit switch to my existing wireless router, and then connect computers to the switch. Will the computers still have access to the internet with that type of setup?

I'd like to upgrade to gigabit ethernet, and going with a switch is cheaper than getting a new router.

2. Loading...

3. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Absolutely

4. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

Awesome, thanks very much. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Asus gigabit switch is $25 whereas I can get a new router for $40. Should I just pocket the $15 and go with the switch?

Will it use more electricity to keep my existing router and add the switch compared to just getting a new router?

5. Diogenes2

Diogenes2 Platinum Member

A little bit. Just look at the specs on the units and it should tell you the wattage..

6. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

7. SickBeast

SickBeast Lifer

Thanks very much. I noticed that Trendnet switch at NCIX for $25 as well but I was not sure about the brand.

It looks like my router only consumes 5 watts, so I think I am just going to get the switch and not worry about the power usage.

8. severtki

severtki Member

Thanks for these answers -- I was just hopping onto this forum to ask this same question! Except I made one 50' ethernet pull through my walls from my router to my home office area and would like to locate a switch in the office for multiple devices to connect through the router.

Sounds like I can upgrade to gigabit for the switched part of the network at the same time -- bonus.

9. Golgatha

Golgatha Lifer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156251

I have this Trendnet (linked above) switch and it seems to work very well. It's also all metal construction and runs very cool. I have it uplinked to my main Netgear 8port switch that runs the rest of the house, and this Netgear switch (see link below) is uplinked into my AT&T U-Verse provided router. I can pump 80-90 MB/s all day long through either switch and they still run cool to the touch. I am a big fan of all metal construction. Plastic is an insulator of heat for crying out loud!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122111