Question Can I connect 2 parallel lines of 1000mbps to the motherboard and get 2000mbps download and 200mbpS upload?

roynany

Jan 24, 2021
Can I connect 2 parallel lines of 1000mbps to the motherboard and get 2000mbps download and 200mbpS upload?
Can a motherboard make this connection?

new motherboards have the option to connect some of them
2 fast internet lines and not so I understood what to do with it

an example of such a motherboard

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
it sounds like OP is asking if he can team from his modem to double up the UL DL speeds. I would think if it was even possible, he would need two modems ad two separate isp accounts.

roynany

Jan 24, 2021

roynany

Jan 24, 2021
it sounds like OP is asking if he can team from his modem to double up the UL DL speeds. I would think if it was even possible, he would need two modems ad two separate isp accounts.

It should be from 2 different routers
because I do not know a router that connects 2 separate lines

and it should be the same ISP

I think that should be the case
but how does the computer make the connection between 2 lines ?

maybe need a special network card that connects 2 internet lines?
then how does he connect the informant?
this means that an internet service defined by an internet provider
who need to sell a service

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
Lets presume that you somehow have two 1000/100 links. Then you could have two simultaneous 1000Mbps downloads.
To have one 2000Mbps download requires that both machines (yours and the server you load from) support a transfer protocol that knows how to use multiple links.
For most protocols 1+1 does not equal 2. It is just 1 and 1.

Reactions: aigomorla

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
The only situation I could see that working in would be if you had 2gbps internet (Like what comcast offers with their fiber service) and your router only had 1gbps ethernet on the LAN end.

You COULD theoretically use link aggregation on two of the 1gbps ethernets together. But I don't know many if any motherboards that would natively support it, so you'd probably need a 2 port PCIe NIC that supports link aggregation, and the router would need to support it as well.

Assuming all of that though, yea you could get significantly faster than 1gbps on a single machine. (though I imagine there would be some overhead from the link aggregation that would stop you from hitting a full 2gbps)

The only reason this would work is that essentially the link aggregation would only be happening on the LAN side of the equation, your router would still need a 2gbps WAN connection to take advantage of this over the internet.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It should be from 2 different routers
because I do not know a router that connects 2 separate lines
Almost every router that supports running DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato (or a half dozen more third party and first party linux based router OS) support teaming. There are also many higher end ones that do not support the third party OS that have teaming support as well on the WAN side, and obviously almost any layer 3 switch will also support this (but these are typically enterprise grade equipment in the first place which is why they support it).

Now in terms of connecting to your ISP modem to the router or computer, the modem needs to support this configuration as well. Plenty of modems have multiple ports, but the original intent was to allow for multiple routers or computers to connect, with each receiving its own IP address (you typically see this in business level service, so that you can have a separate IP address for your web/email server than for your web-portal to connect to the internal network). You would need to be able to access the admin portal of the modem and set up NIC bonding or teaming depending on what it supports. You then also need to setup the other end point to use the same method (i.e. bonding or teaming).

But it probably will not do anything for you unless you have multi-gigabit service from the ISP. The only thing it will do is prevent network failure in case of a bad network port/NIC/wire between the modem and whatever the modem connects to since the modem is limited to the speedgrade of your service (and the modem's hardware) when connecting back to the ISP.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The above is the core of everything currently wrong society wise.

If you write 1 and another 1 next to it. The paper shows 11.

i.e., 1 and 1 equal 11. :(:tearsofjoy::weary::wink:

:cool:
Yes, and something to think about in terms of networking, having the 2x1Gbps links won't mean you will be able to have a 2Gbps download speed on most things. You need to think of it more like this. Your network is a highway, which has a 60mph speed limit. Teaming NICs is the equivalent of adding a second lane to the highway, but having two lanes does not mean you can travel at 120mph as the speed limit stays the same, you can simply now have more cars in the second lane going 60mph at the same time.

So what it means is that you can have multiple applications that use the internet and they will not compete with each other as much for getting network bandwidth.