Can I completely remove Flash from Chrome?

Slowhand

Mar 21, 2011
Hi everyone, is it possible to completely remove Flash from Chrome and reinstall it separately? The preinstalled Chrome Flash Player is giving me nothing but trouble.

If not, could I uninstall Chrome completely and switch back to Firefox....

I know this question is a longshot, but I wanted to ask it anyway..thx for any help :)

Robshe

Apr 6, 2015
[FONT=&quot]Open chrome browser and type [/FONT][FONT=&quot]chrome:plugins[/FONT][FONT=&quot] in the address bar.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Open the Plug-ins page.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Find “Flash” Listing on the plugin page.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just click on “Disable” to remove Adobe Flash Player.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Doesn't that just disable it?
It only disables the built-in Flash plugin. You can go to Adobe page and install an external one. Works great if you have hardware accelaration issues with the "stock" one (I did).

Last edited:

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Hi everyone, is it possible to completely remove Flash from Chrome and reinstall it separately? The preinstalled Chrome Flash Player is giving me nothing but trouble.

In what way is it causing issues? There may be other ways to address it without having to touch Flash.

It only disables the built-in Flash plugin. You can go to Adobe page and install an external one. Works great if you have hardware accelaration issues with the "stock" one (I did).

Do they even provide a PPAPI installer outside of the Adobe Labs preview/beta builds? Remember that Chrome now disables NPAPI plugin support by default mainly for security reasons so you really don't have much of a choice outside of the built-in version. Did you have problems with hardware accelerated rendering or decoding?

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I wonder what would happen if you deleted the pepperflash.dll. Has anyone ever tried it? Does it bork Chrome?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\41.0.2272.118\PepperFlash\pepperflash.dll

There's one in appdata to but I'm not sure if Chrome still uses that.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
@TheRyuu

Yeah, I am having hardware acceleration / hd video decoding issues with Chrome on my Kabini (A4-5000) desktop. Internet Explorer 11 works fine, but with Chrome my CPU works close to 80-95%, while the GPU is on vacation. That's the problem with the slow CPUs, whenever GPU is off duty, you feel immediately that you are on a wrong computer (exactly what makes my Haswell rig shine when I switch over to it). Of course, Chrome shows every video feature as enabled, so I dunno, what's up with that. Having that Flash plugin on or off, of course didn't make any effect.

In the meantime, I have to use all three browsers (FF, IE, GC) depending on the workload. FF seems to work the best with a web browser-based game called C&C Tiberium alliances (45-60 FPS w/ FF; Chrome only about 15-30 FPS, IE about the same as Chrome) while IE excels at HD video decoding (CPU usage as low as 15%).

Last edited:

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
@TheRyuu

Yeah, I am having hardware acceleration / hd video decoding issues with Chrome on my Kabini (A4-5000) desktop. Internet Explorer 11 works fine, but with Chrome my CPU works close to 80-95%, while the GPU is on vacation. That's the problem with the slow CPUs, whenever GPU is off duty, you feel immediately that you are on a wrong computer (exactly what makes my Haswell rig shine when I switch over to it). Of course, Chrome shows every video feature as enabled, so I dunno, what's up with that. Having that Flash plugin on or off, of course didn't make any effect.

In the meantime, I have to use all three browsers (FF, IE, GC) depending on the workload. FF seems to work the best with a web browser-based game called C&C Tiberium alliances (45-60 FPS w/ FF; Chrome only about 15-30 FPS, IE about the same as Chrome) while IE excels at HD video decoding (CPU usage as low as 15%).

Does it make any difference if you disable hardware accelerated decoding in chrome://flags?

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Does it make any difference if you disable hardware accelerated decoding in chrome://flags?
The "Disable hardware-accelerated video decode." flag? It makes no difference. CPU usage is higher than with the other browsers, in that particular video @ 1080p, it's about 32-60% cpu usage versus 7-20% in IE. I don't know if it's Flash or HTML5, I left everything on default settings. Also, in Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances, FF is twice as fast as Chrome (you can easily see the FPS counter) and a lot smoother too. Two actual real-world cases, not some meaningless benchmarks like Fish Bowl (which Chrome wins by a large margin), and a lot of others. On this machine, Chrome just can't efficiently decode 1080p YouTube video or play browser based games as efficient as its rivals, with hardware acceleration enabled or without.

You know, the whole Chrome mentality (was it simplicity???), I am just beginning to hate. Not only that, basic things are not working out of the box. Is it possible to have separate proxy settings from IE? This is what I am saying, basic functionality, it just doesn't exist (or I haven't found it buried somewhere deep down under the hood).

proxy.png

What kind of network control is that? It simply opens up IE network settings? This is ridiculous.

In FF I found the "proper" proxy settings in 10 seconds. So much for being simple, my ass.

Last edited:

xgsound

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2002
You can have multiple browsers installed and even use them simultaneously if you have enough ram and CPU power. Only one will be the default at a time.
So you do not have to uninstall Chrome at all.

Jim

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I believe you can use scriptsafe in Chrome to stop Flash executing on a per site basis or altogether.