Question Can I clone an old HDD to SSD?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I recently set up Win 10 on a very old laptop and have integrated it into our work network. I was hoping the Win 10 upgrade would speed it up, but it's still quite slow since its a 7200 RPM HDD. It took quite a bit of time to integrate into our work network, install the remote support client, install office, adobe software etc. I would prefer avoiding that process again if possible. Is it possible to clone the drive onto an SSD and just plug the SSD in and go from there or would I have to literally restart from a clean Win 10 install? I set up Win 10 on UEFI boot if that makes a diff.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
If you do a sector to sector clone ,so that all the boot info is copied, and if the old disk is a sata disk ,so that the ssd will work with the same driver, then it will work, some copy protected software if you are using any might need to be re enabled.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
If you do a sector to sector clone ,so that all the boot info is copied, and if the old disk is a sata disk ,so that the ssd will work with the same driver, then it will work, some copy protected software if you are using any might need to be re enabled.
Yep old disk is SATA. Are there any freeware programs that will to sector to sector clone?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Depending upon the make/model of SSD, the manufacturer may provide software to use in cloning the hard drive to the SSD.