Can I change msconfig for each user on XP pro?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by eno, Jul 31, 2003.

1. eno

eno Senior member

I am trying to make a user called "games" that would just load the bare bones programs that I need to run games. So even though I have a good system and good ammounts of memory , the extra Anti Virus programs and extras will not be running in the back round for just the "games" user.

A friend gave me this idea today and thought it was sweet until I just noticed that if I edit msconfig for one user it affects them all. How can I do this to where I can just set "games" to run only a selective ammount of programs and the other 2 users run full programs.

Thanks.

2. andrewjm

andrewjm Senior member

You can make your own profiles in the system properties i think and disable all the services you want, then change the local machine registry entries to current user entries of the ones that you want the virus scanner to run on.... that way the current user for games has no services or startup files...

when you make diff profiles, windows will ask you which you wanna use right before windows boots... kinda neat

3. NogginBoink

NogginBoink Diamond Member

Huh?

4. NogginBoink

NogginBoink Diamond Member

What you should do, and what andrewjm was probably trying to say, is set up different hardware profiles.

Control Panel, System, Hardware, Hardware Profiles.

Click Copy to copy the current hardware profile to a new profile, name it games.
    Boot into the new hardware profile and set it up the way you want for games.

5. andrewjm

andrewjm Senior member

yea... i have too many windows up to do step by step.. that's what i meant though ;)

6. eno

eno Senior member

So Its not as simple as just creating another user and logging on with the new user and changing msconfig. Because if I do that it affects my other two users. I will try that hard ware config like you said. So I take it MSCONFIG will always affect every user on the comp?

Edit. Just tried the hardware profile and that is not what I am looking for. I have to reboot everytime I want to play a game. If that is the case the performance I gain for the disabled software does not make it worth while to be rebooting whenever I want to switch between games and programs.

I need something between users that allows me to edit the indvidual users start up menus so ALL i have to do is change the user and my software is setup the way I want for each user name. NOW is that possible??????? Thanks for your help.

7. spyordie007

spyordie007 Diamond Member

No not exactly, MSCONFIG can also remove items in a users startup menu, so technically it can do both.

-Spy

8. eno

eno Senior member

So how can I make it so MSCONFIG is different for each user? I know there must be a way.

9. eno

eno Senior member

10. metapy

metapy Senior member

You have already been given the answer. XP is not like 98 and all program do not run from the startup folder in the start menu or from the registry, like anti-virus software. You would need to disable the service in XP to do so and a simple user switch will not do the trick. A new hardware profile would. I suggest you fire up google.com try a few keywords suggested here, read some and then do what you need to do I promise it does not hurt to think independently.

11. eno

eno Senior member

Yes I know that. I post a question then start the research. If the research fails then at least the post is getting air time with people with suggestions would reply. With all the tasks and jobs one must complete in everyday life, who has the time to learn everything on their own, its a big pool of knowledge. Share the knowledge.

12. Booty

Booty Senior member

I personally don't usually have too much running in the background anyway, but I can't having that much going on that a system like the one in your sig would show a noticable difference when gaming. Maybe I'm just getting old(er), but I think if there *is* a solution to your problem, the pain of setting it up might outweigh the benefits of doing it in the first place. In the time it would take to log off then log back on, I'd think you could probably just shut down the main programs (anti-virus, etc) and fire up your game. Anyway, if you find a solution, "share the knowledge" and let us know... but it doesn't look like anyone here knows how to make msconfig user-specific. Good luck. :)

13. eno

eno Senior member

Booty, keep checking this post. If I find something I will post it or PM you. I will find a solution.

And in return to a couple things you mentioned, the overall time is not much to switch users, its a worthworthy task if I could get it too work between users. Disabling AV does not give you back all the memory it takes, a clear all out not start of the programs would be ideal. And I do know that this effort is not worth tons of my time. It will most likely not help that much but would be a great idea if there is a simple fast solution between games and regular use. I really think it would help more in tomarrows games if anything. (doom3,hl2,unreal2003)

I will let you know what I do.