Can I build a better 7.1 system than this for the same money?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Okay, getting close to the buying point.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on another set up that can compare to this one in sound quality and price.

2- Martin Logan Source speakers for L&R $673 each $1000+ MSRP (on close out)

4- Martin Logan Motion 2's for surround $199 MSRP
1- Martin Logan Motion 6 for center $299 MSRP
Packaged together for $899

1- Martin Logan Dynamo 500 $500 MSRP
essentially free via an Amazon bundle.

So all 8 speakers for $2246

I have been listening to a lot of Seal, Sting, Sade and similar sounding music and think they would sound AMAZING on the source via 2 channel listening.

My only concern is that the source isn't going to be a great speak to rattle the windows with since it isn't a great 'loud' playing speaker. The Motion 6 is also a little weak as a center so I will most likely have to spend another $600 to get a used electro stat as a center.

I tried putting together a system via Aperion and ended up at $2435 (with 4 in wall speakers. It would be more if I got 4 book shelfs) One owner compared them to the B&W 643 which an awesome sounding speaker that would be better for rock and dance music being played loud.

But let's be honest. I can't imagine that $600 speakers, even internet ones, can compare to $1000 speakers.

So any other options?

The Amazon deal seems to make this combo unbeatable. $899 for a high quality 5.1 system is hard to beat.

BTW the amazon deal ends Monday so I expect to hit the buy button tomorrow night or Monday morning before going to work :)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
first of all you need to put up rough floor plan (including height) and placement of everything, speakers, furniture, etc.

The best speakers can't do shit if the room is the wrong shape/configuration.

Price of speaker is not a direct indicator of performance.

gorb

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2011
Well, you need to match your center to your L/R.

If you want to audition the aperions they do have a risk free 30 day trial where they pay shipping both ways which is really awesome.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"Best" often depends upon personal preferences in terms of sound quality, bass extension and bass power, and absolute spl level capabilities.

If room shaking bass and insane spl are important, those really cost a lot of money to do well, so it is a matter of compromises you are willing to accept at any given price point.

http://www.svsound.com/ seems to have a reputation for good tactile wall shaking subs and http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php seems to offer lots of value for lots of bass too (I think they started off in car stereo before switching to home theater).

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
What amp will you br running?
Most likely an Onkyo HT-RC270 which has pre-amp outs so I can add a dedicated amp for the source down the road. Perhaps an emotiva. Nothing too fancy, but something that can drive the Source without problems.

After thinking this over for a bit I may end up leaving the Source speakers in my living room for 2 channel listening. And then move the motion speakers to the media room when I am ready to fill that room with furniture.

So now going to see what type of 5.1 system I can find for $899. Still doubt I can beat the ML deal via Amazon.

SLCentral

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2003
Do NOT power the Sources with that Onkyo. It would not be worth your while. Electrostats require a lot of power, and a dedicated amp is highly suggested. Would be an absolute waste to use ESL's with a $500 receiver.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
do you really need 7.1? most dont
going 5.1 and getting better stuff for the same money might be a better idea

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The 270 is the lowest receiver that I can get for the Source.

It can handle the low ohm load and has the pre-amp outs for a dedicated amp down the road.

The big problem is that the next step up in the onkyo line would be the 808 which started at $739 on amazon. That is a pretty big jump in price and not sure I want to make that leap.

BTW the rc270 is basically a 708 in different clothes and the 708 is highly rated by everyone.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
do you really need 7.1? most dont
going 5.1 and getting better stuff for the same money might be a better idea
My room is 22 feet deep and the seating will be near the middle which makes it perfect for a 7.1 system.

I am also going 3d and many of the 3d movies are starting to add 7.1 sound to them. (how to train your dragon)

As for a 5.1, if I use the source as fronts I would only need 2 back speakers a center and a sub and I don't know if I can beat the ML deal via amazon. If you can offer a better option for that money please let me know :)

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
*update*

I bought the speakers. Should be here end of this week or early next week.

I have heard all of them and really like their sound. Also read some reviews of the Motion speakers and everyone really like them and were very impressed with their sound for the money.

Now I just need to pick an AVR and I am ready for some serious music listening.