Can humans live sustainably?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Yes, we just need to give back what we get. 2 people need to have 2 kids. Not 22. That's the root of the problem.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
No chance with current population sizes, growth rates, or standards of living.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
in the long run, possibly no.

Humanity is coming to the end of opposite sexes. We are at the final phases(50 years maybe) of having to require sperm from a man and an egg from a woman for procreation. Once we can create using technological means, the human body will evolve even further into not being able to reproduce physically.

This has just sped up in the last 75 years with the equalization of women.(no offense) Once birth could be controlled through contraception the once strong opposites were seen as equals. That strong opposition took humainity through millions of years of evolution. If you take that away, you take away evolutions need to make 2 humans so different.

The people who should be having kids aren't, the ones who shouldn't are.

My theory: Humans evolve into 3 separate sub groups which we already seem to be on the path of.

Sub Group 1: Wealthy, Tall, but less numbers.

Sub Group 2: Medium wealth, medium size and very techy.

Sub Group 3: Poor, small, menial labor based and multiply like rabbits.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..get rid of the home mortage deduction and dependent deduction and start a public school tuition and then understand the true sustainability and cost of having a family.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
So

I've one more question for you-would you mind having spent fuel rods plugged down within a 40 mile radius of your home?

Rogo

Yes, now get a life.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
The datacenter where I'm now working uses outside air and baffles to mitigate the energy usage. The BPA is releasing contracts that just ran out (50 year old contracts to sell power to PugetPower and others) and the big movers are signing contracts llike crazy (Microsoft, Yahoo!, Intuit, Google, and Intel).

The Columbia river and the electrical/fiber infrastructure is changing eastern washinton.

Every KW of power used by our facility and every other center on the Columbia is renenwable.

Rogo

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Yes, but all punctuation will become scrambled and sentence fragments will roam the Earth.

I don't care about the rest of the thread, this is too hilarious to not be appreciated.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
You should care about the thread Triumph, the implications will effect your sordid life.

Rogo

When it's important enough that people other than yourself start bumping it, maybe I'll come back... :p

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
CadetLee

:)

What are my motives for bumping this thread? Do I care about the majority of you that post on this site?

Rogo

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You should care about the thread Triumph, the implications will effect your sordid life.

Rogo

How do you know that my life is sordid?

I for one welcome the coming of the end. I'm reading my Zombie Survival Guide book right now, and have 1,000 rounds of ammunition stored at home. Bring it on!

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
No
Because cheap oil is what has alllowed us to populate the earth at 6+ billion
If we don't replace it somehow the carrying capacity of the earth is a about 2 billion humans from what I've read with a significantly smaller resource allocation 'read lifestyle'

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
I think it's time to spend more more into NASA for human expansion into space now. Better do it now before it's too late. Otherwise when the time comes, we'll be telling our children or grandchildren: "WE DIDN'T LISTEN!!1 WE DIDN'T LISTEN11 NOW THE PROBLEMS WILL BE HANDED DOWN TO OUR CHILDREN!11 WE DIDN'T LISTEN!11"

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: desy
No
Because cheap oil is what has alllowed us to populate the earth at 6+ billion
If we don't replace it somehow the carrying capacity of the earth is a about 2 billion humans from what I've read with a significantly smaller resource allocation 'read lifestyle'

We have enough coal to last for centuries at our current level, and enough uranium to last until the sun burns out if re reprocess it and use breeders.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Coal reserves have been overestimated and the increased demand on it as we turn to it to replace cheap oil.
It also can't replace liquid fuel demand which is what moves the nation you don't drive a car on radiation.

I'm still optimistic we can turn it around though but it will have to come at significant changes in how we live.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
We've already turned massive amounts of rainforest into garbage farmland (you sure as hell can't call that 'reclamation'. When hydroelectric projects create desert into farmland you can believe that it's "reclamation", but it's a angle of perception that is completely wayward and without a valid premise.

I'm glad to see that the truth of our sustainiblility isn't recognized.

Rogo

Newfie

Jun 15, 2005
Yes we can, but it will take massive changes to sustain ourselves for the long run.