Can humans live sustainably?

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Saving ecosystems, saving the planet, saving the animals that live with us and sustain us-is what?

Rogo

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Yes, but all punctuation will become scrambled and sentence fragments will roam the Earth.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Yes, but all punctuation will become scrambled and sentence fragments will roam the Earth.

Big LOL.

OP: Are you butthurt about nobody responding to your bumped thread about renewable oil, and now going on a trolling tirade?

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Watching planet earth-and 'sustainability' was brought up many times.

Hence-the poll.

Rogo

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
When this planet is ready it will shake us off like a bunch of fleas,
sooner rather that later I think but I I'll be Long gone bye then...

eldorado99

Lifer
Feb 16, 2004
SOME humans perhaps, but not the sheer amount living on Earth right now. Like everything else in life, moderation is the key.

EDIT: I'm not trying to preach though, I'm as much or more of a leech than anyone else.

Swag1138

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2000
I think that it is the height of arrogance to think that we could destroy this planet that has been here far longer than we have. Even after we kill ourselves off with nukes, this planet will come back.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Everyone knows that right now it takes 10 earths to sustain the current human population on earth. ;)

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
This poll isn't about destroying our earth-it's about destroying the life systems that we use to sustain our species-that is all.

Rogo

Dudewithoutapet

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2005
Sustainablility was about 10-15 years ago. Now we have to further develop things (technology, building up, other planets, etc.) to remain sustainable.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Dude

Do you think we as a global culture can replace our most easily harvested energy source on this planet with 'technology'?

What is the ES of this 'technology'?

Sustainablility was about 10-15 years ago
What's your solution?

Rogo

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
Butch1

When this planet is ready it will shake us off like a like a bunch of fleas,

Why do you think we can't survive as a species on this planet?

Rogo

1) Way to much world population already
2) Oceans overfished and polluted
3) Atmospheric degradation, ( greenhouse gasses ect. )
4) The terrorist wackos (someday they will come up with enough $$ for russian nukes,poof!)
5) Rainforest destruction ( a LOT of Co2 get absorbed by that part of the world, we're cutting it down for grazing and timber)

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Butch1

Consumption of goods and services is counterproductive isn't it?

What's the 'crunch'?

Rogo

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
I'm confused. As time has progressed, humans have been able to make more and more and now more than enough for everyone to survive. There is more than enough food on this planet to feed everyone with a way less percentage of population working in agriculture.

What are you getting at? Don't we live in overall better conditions now than in the past?

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
What are you getting at?

I'm 'getting' at the finite nature of our worlds resources-that's it. Crude oil is what makes our lifestyles viable. Once this resource begins to dimish (peak oil) we'll have to adapt. The adaptation of the human species to energy depletion is going to be either soft or hard. Those of us that choose to grow our own food, smith our own tools, collect our water, harvest the potential energy on our own land, and build our own homes in such a way as to use the thermal mass our land will have a higher chance of weathering the storm.

Rogo

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Yes, easily, with nuclear power and a rational reprocessing cycle, we can outlive the sun.

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
So

Yes, easily, with nuclear power and a rational reprocessing cycle, we can outlive the sun.

I can't wait for such an epiphany! What's the global solution for energy consumption? Don't posit 'nuclear' without numbers to back it up.

Rogo

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
So

I've one more question for you-would you mind having spent fuel rods plugged down within a 40 mile radius of your home?

Rogo

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
we are destroying it today. we are killing are selves because we get are oxygen from plants. we are cutting down the trees for wood. its like a football field a second or something like that. we are going to run out of trees and they can grow back that fast. the oxygen will run to low and we will die. animals will die. and the earth will change dramatically. we are doing this are selves. so NO we cant live w/o plants or animals its called the food chain and the balance of nature w/o it the world will get messed up

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, of course. Technology will make it easier than ever before to do so.

Actually implementing it is another story, though. It will happen as it needs to happen, which is probably slowly, and not of very much benefit to the environment in the short term.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Rogodin2
What are you getting at?

I'm 'getting' at the finite nature of our worlds resources-that's it. Crude oil is what makes our lifestyles viable. Once this resource begins to dimish (peak oil) we'll have to adapt. The adaptation of the human species to energy depletion is going to be either soft or hard. Those of us that choose to grow our own food, smith our own tools, collect our water, harvest the potential energy on our own land, and build our own homes in such a way as to use the thermal mass our land will have a higher chance of weathering the storm.

Rogo

Smith or own tools?? lets see if we can get people out of their Armada's at the drive-thru first.
Small steps, small steps first...

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
I'm very curious about this new 'technology' that is posited as a solution to the replacement of 'crude oil'.

I don't have to post about the energy consumption of modernized nations. Splitting the atom was something we used to murder 100 of thoursands of Japanese civilians, I don't have the blind technological 'faith' that it can replace 'crude oil'.

Rogo