Can HOA's really turn you away due to your race?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: sygyzy
I don't see why not. HOA are private organizations. You don't have to live there if you don't want to live by their rules, right?

while i'd agree with you if you were talking about parking cars on the street overnight, i'm not going to agree when you're talking about race.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Lots of old housing contracts have 'no-sale' clauses regarding blacks/jews/non-whites, back when that was legal. Those clauses are obviously void now. Several years back a Supreme Court nominee (Rehnquist maybe?) caught some minor heck because a vacation house he'd purchased had a 'no-jews' clause in a prior title. The nominee stated he hadn't reviewed the prior titles, and besides, it's all void now.

It was Rehnquist's nomination to be Chief Justice. According to wikipedia, it was Ted Kennedy who asked about it.

Dubya had some small thing with racial covenants in the 2000. Enough that even Snopes has a piece on it.
link

I wonder how many believed it.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I don't see why not. HOA are private organizations. You don't have to live there if you don't want to live by their rules, right?
So using that logic, businesses should be allowed to hire using racial discrimination.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
The first time a towtruck showed up on my property to tow my vehicle, which I have every legal right to in every imaginable way, we'd have what I like to think of as "showdown in the OK corral"

Just imagine what would happen if one of your buddies spent a few days at your house with his truck parked outside. I don't know how that whole situation wouldn't end up in violence.

HomeAppraiser

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2005
"All right, we'll give some land to the Blacks and the Chinese, but we DON'T WANT THE IRISH."

Memorable Quotes from Blazing Saddles (Radio edit)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: SampSon
So using that logic, businesses should be allowed to hire using racial discrimination.

heck business should also be allowed to only allow whites to use drinking fountians and restrooms then!

pfft.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000

I must say I am shocked at the responses in this thread. I was trying to play devil's advocate and answer how I imagined 80% of the ATOT population would answer. I mean, that would be the HOA's justification right? That you don't "have" to live there. That's what the responses in the linked thread said. But for some reason, you guys are against this. I am too but I expected to be in the miniority. Why is this a touchy subject and why are you anti-racial discrimination in HOA's yet you are ok with it elsewhere. No funny comments like "Way to pull the race card."?

Shame

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Shame
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
HOA are a crock of sh!t. So not only do you have to pay for your house, you have to pay for the privildge of living in that neighborhood. It's extortion plain and simple.

Are you the neighbor with the 3 cords of firewood or the one with the 1978 Camaro in your front yard? :p

Oh, and HOAs pay for mowing common areas, keeping people from putting stupid crap in their yard, painting their house a retarded color, provides insurance on common areas, street lights, organize neighborhood garage sales, and can reduce the number of rentals. Yup! HOAs are horrible.

But banning all pickup trucks and banning you from changing your own oil in your driveway? F**k that.

That is a little (lot) extreme. If the HOA has a ton of stupid rules and wants to enforce them, ask the neighbors to sign a proxy form and vote yourself on the board. :) I wish our HOA had a little stricter rules. We have people putting up mailboxes that like like this!

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
HOA are a crock of sh!t. So not only do you have to pay for your house, you have to pay for the privildge of living in that neighborhood. It's extortion plain and simple.

Are you the neighbor with the 3 cords of firewood or the one with the 1978 Camaro in your front yard? :p

Oh, and HOAs pay for mowing common areas, keeping people from putting stupid crap in their yard, painting their house a retarded color, provides insurance on common areas, street lights, organize neighborhood garage sales, and can reduce the number of rentals. Yup! HOAs are horrible.

But banning all pickup trucks and banning you from changing your own oil in your driveway? F**k that.

That is a little (lot) extreme. If the HOA has a ton of stupid rules and wants to enforce them, ask the neighbors to sign a proxy form and vote yourself on the board. :) I wish our HOA had a little stricter rules. We have people putting up mailboxes that like like this!

OMG. How ever will you survive? It must be unbearable to live in that horrific neighborhood where people put tacky things up on their own property.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

Let's see how many white people get hired by the NAACP or BET.

AZGamer

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
No, and there's actually a Supreme Court case on it - Shelley v. Kraemer. Because the keeping of real estate records is done in a courthouse (one of the worst legal arguments I've ever heard), the state is the de-facto enforcer of HOA agreements. At that point, state action takes place in enforcement. 14th amendment/incorporation to the states/does not meet any strict scrutiny clause = stare decisis for quite a long time now.