Can HOA's really turn you away due to your race?

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
No, I work in a fair housing clinic and it is illegal to deny the sale or rental of property based on race. Check here for more info.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'd be willing to bet that HOAs fall under the same equal housing laws as other home related organizations do. Lenders, real estate agents, landlords all have to abide by them. It's doubtful that HOAs are any different.

ddviper

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2004
Doubt it, or else theyd be getting a lot more suits and Id bet we'd hear about em

-Got racism?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
NO. they can turn you away for nearly anythig but race, sex and disiblity.

Aug 23, 2000
HOA are a crock of sh!t. So not only do you have to pay for your house, you have to pay for the privildge of living in that neighborhood. It's extortion plain and simple.

herkulease

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I read the thread, one I person suggested race. that person seems to allude to that possibility of race.

Anyhow as others have said it, its illegal. Sure when you buy the home you agree to the rules, but the rules still have to be legal.

But anyhow places that have HOA tend to be higher priced and that itself is one of many ways to keep minorities out.

My neighborhood has a HOA, its pretty lax thouh. There's no nut going around policing people.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
nope, unconstituional to have race restrictions in deeds enforced by state courts under the 13th amendment, iirc

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
I'd be willing to bet that HOAs fall under the same equal housing laws as other home related organizations do. Lenders, real estate agents, landlords all have to abide by them. It's doubtful that HOAs are any different.

You'd win that bet. Discrimination on the basis of race in housing matters is definitely illegal. No ifs/ors/buts about it.

Lots of old housing contracts have 'no-sale' clauses regarding blacks/jews/non-whites, back when that was legal. Those clauses are obviously void now. Several years back a Supreme Court nominee (Rehnquist maybe?) caught some minor heck because a vacation house he'd purchased had a 'no-jews' clause in a prior title. The nominee stated he hadn't reviewed the prior titles, and besides, it's all void now.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: herkulease
I read the thread, one I person suggested race. that person seems to allude to that possibility of race.

Anyhow as others have said it, its illegal. Sure when you buy the home you agree to the rules, but the rules still have to be legal.

But anyhow places that have HOA tend to be higher priced and that itself is one of many ways to keep minorities out.

My neighborhood has a HOA, its pretty lax thouh. There's no nut going around policing people.

Same with ours. Our HOA fee is $72/month and that goes mostly for community landscaping and maintaining the tot lots and common areas.

Jan 31, 2002
Of course not, that would be racial prejudice.

However, we regret to inform you that your credit check came back with a few questionable charges, and I'm afraid we've found a more suitable applicant. Why don't you try CrackTown Real Estate, or No-Daddy Alley?

- M4H

Shame

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
HOA are a crock of sh!t. So not only do you have to pay for your house, you have to pay for the privildge of living in that neighborhood. It's extortion plain and simple.

Are you the neighbor with the 3 cords of firewood or the one with the 1978 Camaro in your front yard? :p

Oh, and HOAs pay for mowing common areas, keeping people from putting stupid crap in their yard, painting their house a retarded color, provides insurance on common areas, street lights, organize neighborhood garage sales, and can reduce the number of rentals. Yup! HOAs are horrible.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Shame

Are you the neighbor with the 3 cords of firewood or the one with the 1978 Camaro in your front yard? :p

Oh, and HOAs pay for mowing common areas, keeping people from putting stupid crap in their yard, painting their house a retarded color, provides insurance on common areas, street lights, organize neighborhood garage sales, and can reduce the number of rentals. Yup! HOAs are horrible.

But banning all pickup trucks and banning you from changing your own oil in your driveway? F**k that.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
There are reasons for HOAs. Many HOAs maintain all common green areas, they maintain your lawn and exterior of the house. They clean the neighborhood extensively, many have more security patrols than normal neighborhoods, etc.

HOAs keep the neighborhood uniform, maintained and desirable. They may not be for everybody, but obviously the perks they offer keep a vast amount of people flocking to their neighbordhoods.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

yes they do some good things. but some are also very bad.

I would NOT want to live in a HOA. just not my style of living.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
I don't think that a HOA can deny you, but a landlord can refuse to rent to you based on anything IF it is a duplex or townhouse and the landlord lives in one of the two units.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Of course not, that would be racial prejudice.

However, we regret to inform you that your credit check came back with a few questionable charges, and I'm afraid we've found a more suitable applicant. Why don't you try CrackTown Real Estate, or No-Daddy Alley?

- M4H

While obviously not all cases like that are caught and corrected, often racially biased places like that are found through the use of moles. If there are patterns in regards to the discrimination of protected classes of people, then the seller/renter can be brought to court and often are successfully sued. It's quite not as easy to continually discriminate as you imply.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002

used to pay for basic cable also (paid for your own cable boxes though). then the cable provider got bought out and that agreement quickly changed. but it was a good run while it lasted though. and in actuality, paying hoa fee's, it wasnt exactly free cable either. you can imagine the stink it raised in the neighborhood regardless 8 years ago when that occured.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I don't see why not. HOA are private organizations. You don't have to live there if you don't want to live by their rules, right?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
yes they do some good things. but some are also very bad.

I would NOT want to live in a HOA. just not my style of living.
good luck with your neighbor who likes to leave his xmas lights up and on all year.