Can Hard Liquor be purchased over the internet?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
I'm just curious if hard liquor can be purchased over the internet like cigarettes can? If so does it have to be from a website based in ones' state? Thanks for your time :)

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999

<< Why would you, are you under age? >>

No, I'm not underage, but it's so much more convienient to shop online IMHO. If I was underage and trying to get around being ID'd, I'd just order from my local liguor store and have them deliver, the delivery guy nevers asks for ID.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
well, it depends on state to state. every one has differerent regulations on booze. theyre usually obnoxious anyways, ie:

the state of FL assesses a surcharge on the alcohol sold. so every so often you need to break out every sales record, calculate how many beers you sold, figure that into gallons of beer, and calculate the % alcohol. then you get to do that for wine and mixed drinks. then you add it all up and get taxed on the volume of alchohol you sold, not the quantity of the product.

kinda back-asswards if you ask me.

BTW, you'd also need instant ID verification. i'm not sure if that can be done by a merchant over the web.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Thanks for the response PsychoAndy, much appreciated. I'm in NYC, so I'm not sure what the law is here reguarding selling alcohol over the 'net. :eek:

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
Looking at some of the online sites, I see that while there is legislation pending in most of these states, it is legal to ship hard liquor as well as beer and wine to the following states: CA ID IL IA MO MN NM OR WA WI WV NH. It is illegal in these states: Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Utah. Most of the states, if allowed, limit the number of bottles you can purchase per year.

The rest of the states have differing laws - some only allow wine and/or beer. Some only allow online sales from liquor stores within the same state, etc.

Edit: Found another site that said wine (that's all they sell) can't be delivered to the following states (from california at least): AL, AR, AZ, CT, DE, GA, FL, KS, KY, IN, LA, MI, ME, MD, MA, MS, NJ, NY, NC, ND, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA

Looks like different vendors have different lists.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Well, why don't you just call the local liquor store and have them deliver? It's not like being over age is a problem.

Look, I don't really care either way. I'm sorry I don't have any helpful answer, but just ordering a local delivery seems like it would be the most convenient, since it will be there that same night.

jm0ut

Apr 4, 2001
zim hosien: where do you live?! i want my liquor store to deliver!!!!

edit:
ok ok, i should read all the way to the end of the thread before asking.... sorry :p

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999

<< Look, I don't really care either way. I'm sorry I don't have any helpful answer, but just ordering a local delivery seems like it would be the most convenient, since it will be there that same night. >>

This is true, but I just hate calling, being put on hold, just to order a few bottles on a regular basis when cigarette websites have subscription services that ship and bill you on a regular basis Garfang. Thanks for your response :)

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
There's a huge problem with transporting alcohol over state lines.. but buying from within the state is generally OK..

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
You can buy hard liquor online, but not the kind you're talking about. I've seen a few different sites out there that ship anywhere in the US. Usually these sites are based out of another country, and they are selling very expensive liquor. You know the kind I'm talking about: hand blown bottles, very limited production, 100+ dollars a bottle.

Stiler

Banned
Nov 21, 2001
what? illegal in TN??? they just passed a law like last year that you can buy liquor on sundays now so why would that be illegal?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Thanks for the response ThaGrandCow, yeah I've heard about sites selling the "premium" bottles of liquor over the internet, but thankfully I do not have the taste or wallet for that stuff.

<< what? illegal in TN??? they just passed a law like last year that you can buy liquor on sundays now so why would that be illegal? >>

I would have to guess that amnesiac 2.0 has the answer to this being related to selling and/or distributing alcohol over state lines :(