Can every USB mouse work with a PS/2 adapter ?

NoobyDoo

Nov 13, 2006
Can every USB mouse work with a PS/2 adapter ? Just got a Logitech Optical Mouse ( the one with 1000dpi, tilt & zoom ) for someone else. A USB-PS/2 adapter was not included with the mouse. When I tried the mouse using a adapter I had, it did not seem to work.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Are you short on USB ports?

Just trying to figure out why you would need to use a USB mouse on PS/2.

NoobyDoo

Nov 13, 2006
No, I was using some non-windows boot disks, apps. Would not work with a USB mouse so I tried the PS/2 adapter.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
That's a good reason. Remember that the PS2 connected mouse has to be plugged in before the boot cycle. It is not hot pluggable in PS2.

NoobyDoo

Nov 13, 2006
I did not swap the mouse from USB to PS/2 while the system was on.

Tried it again today, the USB mouse just does not work with a PS/2 adapter in Windows, or any other OS.

NoobyDoo

Nov 13, 2006
OK, this is what the Logitech site says : Link
If a Logitech device supports use on more than one type of port, it ships with the adaptor to do so. If your product did not ship with an adaptor, you may not be able to use the device on a different port. Please see Knowledge Base article 50 to determine which ports you can use with your mouse. If your device is a multi-port mouse and you are missing the adapter, please contact Logitech Sales to get a new adapter.

If you determine your device is a single-port mouse (can only be used on one port), please do not try to use a third party adapter because your mouse may not work. Logitech does not support using our mice with third party adapters.

List

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Yes, the mouse has to have the ability to sense what it's connected to and shift electronic gears internally. Generally, if the mouse doesn't ship labeled as a "universal mouse" and come with a PS/2 adapter, then it won't work as PS/2 with a "generic" passive adapter. Keyboards are the same way - if not marked as "Universal' nor comes with an adapter of its own, then it is USB only.

Unfortunately, Logitech has fewer "universal" products than in the past so you have to be sure you know what you're getting if you need/want PS/2 compatibility.

.bh.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
my dell USB keyboard never worked using a ps/2 adapter for what it's worth.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
USB to PS2 can be tricky because some devices use more power than others, etc, and might require a specific type of adapter to work properly. Old IBM Model Ms, for example, won't work with every adapter out there (going from PS2 to USB) but fortunatley, there's a large Model M user community so there are indexs of working adapters and links to buy them. You might find such a list for that mouse.