Can employer force you to get flu vaccine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
ive gotten the flu shot twice

both times i ended up getting the fucking flu

so im never getting the shot again

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I work in a hospital too. I don't think it's mandatory, but you'll get a funny look if you say no. Takes all but 5 minutes, just do it, not the end of the world.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
The vaccine is for two reasons:

1. So you do not spread it to a bunch of other people that may not fare as well.

2. Your ass does not take a sick day (or, worse yet, yours and a few dozen others that all got it at the same time).

You don't start playing favorites. "Oh, we really do not need you around every day, so do whatever you want". A policy is a policy. You may not LIKE it, but still, it is good to have and some DO have reasons behind them.

As for the many strains, yes there are. And what they do is try and track what ones are possible for the year. Even slight mismatches can make the attack less potent. But making a blanket statement that since there are so many that the vaccine is useless? Stats say you're wrong.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005

Um, you know that when you get an immunization your immune system reacts to it, right?

So if you got it right after the shot, you were either really unlucky and just happened to get it at the same time, or yyou had a day or two of feeling bad.

I am always amazed at the people who "think" they got the flu. You do not "think" you have it when you get it. You are OUT for 4-5 days and wishing you were dead.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

well, you didn't get it from the shot grandpa. :p

i say "grandpa" because he says the same thing, but it's Fall when you get the shot and cold viruses are going around. he gets a cold after the shot (which he would've got if he didn't get the flu vaccine) and he blames it on the shot.

it's a dead virus grandpa, you can't get the flu from the shot. doesn't matter, he'll say it again next year. :p

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Um, you know that when you get an immunization your immune system reacts to it, right?

So if you got it right after the shot, you were either really unlucky and just happened to get it at the same time, or yyou had a day or two of feeling bad.

I am always amazed at the people who "think" they got the flu. You do not "think" you have it when you get it. You are OUT for 4-5 days and wishing you were dead.

i love these responces where you think you know more then i do about myself,

no it was not the sniffels right after the shot, both times it was weeks to a month later and yes it was the 4-5 days of wishing i was dead with liquid comming out of every opening of my body weather i wanted it to or not

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
i love these responces where you think you know more then i do about myself,

no it was not the sniffels right after the shot, both times it was weeks to a month later and yes it was the 4-5 days of wishing i was dead with liquid comming out of every opening of my body weather i wanted it to or not
those were the only two times you got the flu?

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
I took biology last semester. There are over 2000 strains of "The" flu, and a vaccine only protects against a couple of them.
Maybe YOU need to take biology and learn about the human immune system.

But there is almost no downside to taking it.

• No risk of infection. It is not live. If you get the injection, the vaccine is just reconstituted virus particles without viral DNA. You cannot create an infection from this.
  • Minimal side effects. Some patients get some soreness and rarely a very brief mild fever from the immune response. In an even remotely healthy adult, you'd barely notice it, and t5he vast majority of patients have no side effects.
  • Low cost. Most health plans cover the vaccine for free, since it is much cheaper than sick visits. Even if it's not covered, it's $30 at Walgreens.
  • It does provide protection. While you're right about there being 2000 strains out there, the WHO does a pretty good job of predicting which strains will be relevant. While they are not perfect, the vaccine reduces instance of infection by about half.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
the people that really need the shot are the very young, the elderly, those that have a compromised immune system and people who come in contact with the general public on a daily basis.

I have never gotten the shot or the flu in nearly 50 years.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
those were the only two times you got the flu?

that i actually remember yes, im sure i had it when i was a kid 20+ years ago but the first time i got the shot i was in college, i actually ended up going to the hospitial because of how bad i was, Temp of 104, they game be 2 units of fluid and gave me a px to painkillers, kept me there for like 12 hours

2nd time was in 2009, couldent go to family thanksgiving get together because of how sick i was. most likely would have gotten my 95 year old grandmother sick and killed her, its also the first time i can remember shitting my pants because i couldent controll my bowels

Last edited:

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
that i actually remember yes, im sure i had it when i was a kid 20_ years ago but the first time i got the shot i was in college, i actually ended up going to the hospitial because of how bad i was, they game be 2 units of fluid and gave me a px to painkillers

2nd time was in 2009, couldent go to family thanksgiving get together because of how sick i was. its also the first time i ran remember shitting my pants because i couldent controll my bowels
:$

sounds like a different kind of flu. :whiste:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It just occurred to me:
We have this discussion EVERY GOD DAMN YEAR!

I think maybe the OP was trolling.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
It just occurred to me:
We have this discussion EVERY GOD DAMN YEAR!

I think maybe the OP was trolling.

lol we do.

i also predict we will have at least one "i got the flu shot and it gave me the flu"

and one "i got the flu shot and got he flu (4 months latter)!"

oh and "i didn't get the flu shot and got the flu ugh!"

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
I always say, if you have ever had the flu, you will NEVER want it again.

I am first in line to get mine every year.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
It sounds like it isnt being forced at all. You either get it or wear a face mask at all times. This seems more than reasonable policy

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
never gotten the flu (that I can recall), never have taken a flu shot and never will