Can car fuses cause "clicking" sounds

ZowieHowie

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2002
I have a 98 Ford Explorer with about 60,000 miles on it. The other day, I tried to put down the window, but the electric windows did not want to go down. I drove for about 5 minutes, and tried again, and the windows went down.

Then, it started to rain, and I put my windows up, and attempted to turn my wipers on. Initially, they would not go on. Then, I heard a click (similar to that of when certain vehicles turn on their automatic headlights). After the click, the wipers went on.

Windows and wipers seemed to work fine until today. Today, same issue with the windows. They would not go down. While driving, I heard a click, and tried to open them, and they opened again. The same is true with the wipers.

Interestingly enough though, sometimes neither windows or wipers will work simultaneously. Sometimes neither will work, sometimes one will work. Interestingly enough though, after I hear a click, either the wipers will work or the windows will work (and sometimes both). I thought it might be a fuse, but upon looking at my owners manual, they are on different fuses. I think it still might be the fuses, but am not sure.

Any ideas what this could be?

desk

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2004
giyf

"A device that responds to a small current or voltage change by activating switches or other devices in an electric circuit."

getbush

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
How long do you think it would take people to notice if in every car trouble thread I simply posted "Trade it for a Corolla"? Sorry I can't contribute to this thread. Electronics problems can be quirky and tough to diagnose.