can brick pointing be done as a weekend job?

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
or do i need to hire a 'professional'....

what kind of stuff do i need... cement? mason cement? can i get it at lowes...

or does someone profesional have to come over and do it?

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Well since you probably don't have the right tools (grinder, tuck point blade, trowels) and have no experience for the sake of structural integrity and appearence I'm going to say you should hire a pro.

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
wait, i can buy those things... what you mean i need a grinder... and what do you suggest there's needed to know regarding structural integrity?

brick pointing to fill up some mortar that has worn out?

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: abc
wait, i can buy those things... what you mean i need a grinder... and what do you suggest there's needed to know regarding structural integrity?

brick pointing to fill up some mortar that has worn out?

You also remove the mortor along the joints down to sound mortor at about 3/4". You can do it with a chisel but I hope you don't have a lot to do. I use an angle grinder with a 4" tuck point wheel ($200). If you are just planning on slapping some mud in there go ahead.

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
fred, why do you ahve to remove mortor? it makes for a longer lasting job or something?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You have to remove the "loose" mortor. Sometimes it's wedged in place by surrounding motor that ain't so loose. I only recently learned how to do this from my brother. One point that he harped about, is wetting the brick before applying the new mortor. You load the trowel with a bit of mud, hold it under the joint, and press it in with the pointing tool. You get better with practice. I always dumped more than went in the joint, but I was getting better at it. :p

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: abc
fred, why do you ahve to remove mortor? it makes for a longer lasting job or something?

You remove the mortor for a better bond. You are getting a clean surface, a uniform depth of new mortor, and making sure you are bonding to mortor that is not going to fall off any time soon.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Ornery
You have to remove the "loose" mortor. Sometimes it's wedged in place by surrounding motor that ain't so loose. I only recently learned how to do this from my brother. One point that he harped about, is wetting the brick before applying the new mortor. You load the trowel with a bit of mud, hold it under the joint, and press it in with the pointing tool. You get better with practice. I always dumped more than went in the joint, but I was getting better at it. :p

You should also keep the srurface damp for a couple days after.

abc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
keep the area moist by what, spray bottle of water all over the remortared areas?