can ATOT recommend a stud finder for me?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
any ATOT handymen around?

I have a couple heavy pictures that I need hung, but I'll be damned if I can find a stud in my walls.

I bought a $10 magnetic stud finder on Amazon, but according to that, I have exactly one stud throughout my entire house, which seems unlikely.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You must have a tough life :^D

Did you try just tapping the walls, and listening?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

I have a couple heavy pictures that I need hung, but I'll be damned if I can find a stud in my walls.

I bought a $10 magnetic stud finder on Amazon, but according to that, I have exactly one stud throughout my entire house, which seems unlikely.

Use Google instead of Amazon.

Google: Studs

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
funny-graphs-thing-i-do-with-a-stud-finder-tool.png

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I remember you're in an old house? Maybe you don't have studs at all. Are the walls plaster, or drywall?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I remember you're in an old house? Maybe you don't have studs at all. Are the walls plaster, or drywall?
90% certain that they're plaster.

I'm pretty sure my house was built before the invention of the hanger because all the closets are so screwy.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
90% certain that they're plaster.

I'm pretty sure my house was built before the invention of the hanger because all the closets are so screwy.

You won't have much in the way of studs then. I don't know all the internals of a plaster wall, but it mainly consists of long horizontal lathes closely spaced together. You'd want to put a long screw through the lath, or maybe an anchor between them. The problem is if the item is very heavy, you can get stress cracks in the plaster.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The wood lathes have to be held by something... pretty sure there are still studs. Though they may not use the standard 16" spacing.

Also the lathes are probably throwing off the stud finder. Does it have a setting for wall thickness? Try setting it to the thicker setting.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Friend of mine who is straight lived in the Castro district in SF. He went to the hardware store there to buy one and realized the irony. He did find his studs

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002

Broke your gay-dar, loki? I thought stud-finding was innate.

j/k - On a more serious note, I've found the cheaper stud finder's to be a bit .... lacking. I feel like I'm trying to perform some weird solstice sacrifice in order to actually find a stud in the wall. Have you looked into just using anchors? How heavy are the pictures?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Go with floor standing art. Its better cuz you can move it around easily and dont have to make holes in the wall.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009

You won't have much in the way of studs then. I don't know all the internals of a plaster wall, but it mainly consists of long horizontal lathes closely spaced together. You'd want to put a long screw through the lath, or maybe an anchor between them. The problem is if the item is very heavy, you can get stress cracks in the plaster.

unless its a mudshack it has studs

The wood lathes have to be held by something... pretty sure there are still studs. Though they may not use the standard 16" spacing.

Also the lathes are probably throwing off the stud finder. Does it have a setting for wall thickness? Try setting it to the thicker setting.

spacing is probably quite random at times.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?117914-Please-help-find-studs-in-plaster-walls

get a better metal detecting one I guess

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I'd get the zircon i520. Its around 50 bucks but it does deep scans, finds metal, electrical, and does center and edge detect.

I've never had mine fail me. Saved me from piercing a bit of electrical wire as well.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
I'd get the zircon i520. Its around 50 bucks but it does deep scans, finds metal, electrical, and does center and edge detect.

I've never had mine fail me. Saved me from piercing a bit of electrical wire as well.
I second this one, a friend of mine had one and after borrowing it I went out and bought my own, it'll do anything you ever need one to do...