Can ASUS DirectCU TOP BIOS be installed on a non-TOP card?

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
It can but your card has to be stable at the TOP speeds and also be able to maintain a higher clock.

I had a 670 FTW LE and flashed it to FTW speeds 100% stable. Do at your own risk and test the TOP clocks with afterburner before flashing. I would also run heaven loops and 3dmark.

Last edited:

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I don't know why people risk with things like these, it's not like you're magically unlocking anything by flashing.

How hard is it to auto run a program that sets clocks on Windows start up?

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I installed a TOP bios to my regular DC II 680, and it was fine for me. Like Rvenger said, your card will have to be stable at the higher clocks. It should work fine, though.

MaxICH

Nov 19, 2012
If the difference is just the default clock of GPU and ram you should be ok as long as your card can handle the overclock.

Kristijonas

Jun 11, 2011
Thank you, I will try to overclock manually first and if it's stable, I'll flash TOP bios on top. I like this way more than overclocking at startup because it's less trouble and more reliable I believe.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Thank you, I will try to overclock manually first and if it's stable, I'll flash TOP bios on top. I like this way more than overclocking at startup because it's less trouble and more reliable I believe.

I agree. Adding a layer of software, where none is needed, isn't the preferred option. I've seen a number of threads started because of video instabilities where the culprit was AB, or some other O/C program.

cl-scott

ASUS Support
Jul 5, 2012
I'm guessing everyone here already knows, but for those who may come across this on Google or some such... This is very much an at your own risk kind of thing. If it works, great, but if anything breaks, you're on your own. You may manage to slip such a card past the RMA folks, but if they catch it they'll almost certainly hit you with a CID (Customer Induced Damage) charge.

So if you're fine with those risks, knock yourself out, otherwise you should probably reconsider. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I'm guessing everyone here already knows, but for those who may come across this on Google or some such... This is very much an at your own risk kind of thing. If it works, great, but if anything breaks, you're on your own. You may manage to slip such a card past the RMA folks, but if they catch it they'll almost certainly hit you with a CID (Customer Induced Damage) charge.

So if you're fine with those risks, knock yourself out, otherwise you should probably reconsider. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

True. +1

I wouldn't suggest this to anyone who didn't feel they were technically capable enough to do a blind flash afterwards if it failed (Which itself isn't 100% guaranteed.). And, as you said, you're on your own if you brick your card.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011

pretty much, its not illegal until you are caught

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Yes, exactly. I will overclock my card from 910mhz to 1000mhz, and if it's stable, I'll flash BIOS, which is 975mhz.

Sure, and if in three months a game comes out that stresses your card in a way that you couldn't have tested before and now your card is unstable? You have to flash back to the old bios, or lower your clocks through software.

Or you could be smart and just use software from the beginning instead of tampering with your hardware.