Can Apple's PowerBooks be docked?

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I'm looking at getting a PowerBook but my main criteria for a laptop, is that it have the abilty to be docked in a port replicator or docking station. Is the PowerBook cabable of doing that?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
The older TiBooks could be docked since everything is on the back, but with the new AlBooks, I haven't seen any docking mechanism due to the fact that all the ports are on the side.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Those are third party docks and quite frankly, look pretty dang ugly. You're telling me Apple can't come out with a docking station of their own? Geez, they have their 23" display user can use when docked instead of their laptop LCD. Apple comes out with all these crazy cool gadgets but don't offer something as basic as a docking station. WTH?

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
I dunno if this is true across the board but around here in NYC, Mac users don't use docking stations nor do they seem like they even need it. I personally wouldn't need one either. I think it's mainly a PeeCee thing.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: deathkoba
I dunno if this is true across the board but around here in NYC, Mac users don't use docking stations nor do they seem like they even need it. I personally wouldn't need one either. I think it's mainly a PeeCee thing.
You can definitely get by without one, it is just soooo much nicer with one. I think that Mac users don't use docking stations because Apple doesn't offer any, which sucks. :(

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: JackBurton
Those are third party docks and quite frankly, look pretty dang ugly. You're telling me Apple can't come out with a docking station of their own? Geez, they have their 23" display user can use when docked instead of their laptop LCD. Apple comes out with all these crazy cool gadgets but don't offer something as basic as a docking station. WTH?
I've seen much better looking ones. I just linked that one because it was the first one I found.

I don't use docking stations because I don't like paying $150 just to replicate the docks I already have. I'd only plug in a keyboard and mouse (one USB port in my case) and a monitor (DVI or VGA port), and maybe an iPod (Firewire port).

And I have a desktop already anyway.

In fact, I don't know a single person with a docking port, either on the Mac or the PC side, except in those cases where the laptop has no built-in optical drive. And all Mac laptops have a built-in optical drive.