Can Apple decide what the iPod Nano is supposed to be?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Usually, each generation should be an upgrade to the last. This couldn't be more wrong with the iPod nano. It used to play music only. Then, it played music and video. Then, it got video recording and editing (I think it might have gotten this before iPhone or iPod touch did). Then it couldn't even play video, but can be worn like a wristwatch. Now it can play video again, but can't record video and it's no longer an ideal form factor to wear on the wrist.

I would have prefered if it evolved into something like the previous generation, worn on the wrist, but with Bluetooth and the ability to act as an iPhone companion device. Text messages, alerts, music control, music info, caller ID, ...all without removing my phone from my pocket.

With the current generation, it's not heading in that direction. :(

Last edited:

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
The Nano is where Apple seems to do their experimenting with the iPod line. So I think that they intentionally don't decide what it is.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
The 3rd gen nano has served well since it's released, in a form factor I actually liked. It's the only Apple device I own myself.

HaukSwe

Jul 6, 2010
Am very disappointed with my nano, latest version. I expect of Apple that when they have a feature in their devices, no matter how simple the feature they do it right. I bought it specifically to have a light music player for my workouts and running.

So the Nano is light on features which makes you think they polish the few that they have very well, but no.

Nike+

You can only adjust distance twice after resetting. You can't select podcasts for music (You can start a podcast but once finished you have to end your run, go into music app, then start a new run to change...). It lacks basics like being able to set how often it reports time and pace. Not to mention it's hugely inaccurate (Unlike apples claims), even on a standard 500m track even pace.

So it added 5km to my half marathon even though I had it calibrated per instructions beforehand and now I cant change that, so Ive "beaten" my own PB....

Bluetooth, ok great but why no wifi and airplay? Why doesnt the latest ipod work with these new technologies? It's not like its cheap... compared to the itouch. Wifi sync?

Clock function. Stopwatch and timer, ok. Alarm? No, an iPod 2012 does not have an alarm function. Really? It'd be half useful if it could be connected to my speakers and start playing music at a set time... But it can play video.. awesome...

Its small and light enough to be a nicer workout device than an iPhone but... meh. They could've delivered better, it's half-assed.

I would have prefered if it evolved into something like the previous generation, worn on the wrist, but with Bluetooth and the ability to act as an iPhone companion device. Text messages, alerts, music control, music info, caller ID, ...all without removing my phone from my pocket.

Don't see the point of a companion device.. why for extra storage? Just pay for 16 extra gb in your iphone. The above seems like a lot of features without real benefit.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
The generation prior to the current Nano was a decent premise but in reality it makes for a very poor workout device, which at least in the beginning seemed to be what it was marketed as. No bluetooth was part of what killed it, but the worst part was the stupid touch screen. I took my wife's out on a run this summer and once you start sweating you can forget having the screen register anything. The screen was really to small to be of much use anyhow. Add to that piss poor battery life and shoddy build quality and I guess that explains the change. If they would have just put some buttons on it, added bluetooth and worked on battery life it would be a killer little workout device.

My iPod Touch 2G is still my running companion, I guess that won't change anytime soon.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

With the current generation, it's not heading in that direction. :(

Don't see the point of a companion device.. why for extra storage? Just pay for 16 extra gb in your iphone. The above seems like a lot of features without real benefit.

You're right that you didn't see the point :)

The companion device probably shouldn't even be called "iPod," but the previous generation is pretty close to how it should be designed. It should not have any significant amount of storage. If you're streaming music over Bluetooth A2DP, you could view music info and control playback from your wrist. Text messages and notifications could be visible without pulling-out your phone or dropping it. It would allow you to see who is calling by simply looking at your wrist, so you can decide whether-or-not to answer a call by Bluetooth (headset or vehicle) without pulling your phone out of your pocket or dropping it. It is irritating that I had a headset and still had to pull out my phone out every time to see who was calling before I could decide to answer/reject. Another peeve: The phone has voice synthesis and doesn't even have a feature to announce the caller's name. Ugh!

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The generation prior to the current Nano was a decent premise but in reality it makes for a very poor workout device, which at least in the beginning seemed to be what it was marketed as. No bluetooth was part of what killed it, but the worst part was the stupid touch screen. I took my wife's out on a run this summer and once you start sweating you can forget having the screen register anything. The screen was really to small to be of much use anyhow. Add to that piss poor battery life and shoddy build quality and I guess that explains the change. If they would have just put some buttons on it, added bluetooth and worked on battery life it would be a killer little workout device.

My iPod Touch 2G is still my running companion, I guess that won't change anytime soon.

I agree. The best way would be to have 4 switches under the screen so you can press the top, bottom, left, or right side to control music and answer/end calls. It would also work for motorcycle riders with gloves.

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001
Shortly after I learned that a new Nano was just released and after noticing that older Nanos were fetching nice money on eBay I sold my well used 4G Nano for over a hundred bucks which paid for most of my Nano 7G.:)

Anyhow, I never liked the 6th Generation Nano so I waited and I was rewarded with a very nice Nano. I love my 7th Generation Nano! No it isn't perfect but as far as I am concerned no Nano has been 100% perfect.

:)

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
The one with the video camera, FM tuner and speaker was the best one IMO. I guess apple thought it did too much and crippled all versions since.