Can anyone think of anything positive that the $300,000,000,000 Iraq War has done for America?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: International Machine Consortium
Originally posted by: ScottMac
Originally posted by: Aisengard
Well, now we know for sure that Saddam has no WMD! Phew. Mission Accomplished.

Explain that to the tens of thousands of Kurd that Saddam gassed.

The U.S. has killed hundreds of thousands. What's your point?

I'd like to see a link to the "hundreds of thousands" of civilians that the US has directly killed.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: judasmachine
It taught the terrorists that they can deflect punishment everytime they attack america.

Ommm, Iraq didn't have anything to do with 9/11...

Mission Accomplished to brain wash the public into thinking the bush admin could lie to them anytime they fell like it.

It gave bush some pretty good ratings! :)

It will make us think twice and tell bush where to shove it when he wants to attack Iran...

Just think how many kids we could have sent to college to become engineers and scientists...

What a waste.... :( sigh...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: teclado

You ask for positives? Well, the possibility for freedom to the Iraqi people is definitely a positive. It's not right for people to have to live in fear while we Americans are too cowardly and selfish to help them.
Cowardly? FYI Bubba, it's not the Americans over there who were too afraid to rise up against Hussien or too cowardly now to make a firm stand against the Insurgents. The only group there that had balls were the Kurds and it's no coincidence that the areas under Kurdish rule are the most stable in Iraq.

Aug 1, 2006
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: International Machine Consortium
Originally posted by: ScottMac
Originally posted by: Aisengard
Well, now we know for sure that Saddam has no WMD! Phew. Mission Accomplished.

Explain that to the tens of thousands of Kurd that Saddam gassed.

The U.S. has killed hundreds of thousands. What's your point?

I'd like to see a link to the "hundreds of thousands" of civilians that the US has directly killed.

1. There is evidence Iran carried out the gas attacks on the Kurds in Halabja, notwithstanding the U.S. run up to war lies campaign. Even Iran claims about 3-5,000 kurds were killed, so you'll forgive me if I don't participate in your little "IT WAS RIGHT TO ATTACK IRAQ BECAUSE <fill in the blank>!!!!" party....

2. As for deaths attributed to U.S. intervention in Iraq, estimates range as high as 250,000 according to some reports.
The U.S. has directly killed over 50,000 civilians according to a number of sources. I just take a mean of the claims.
Look around, do a little research. I realize Americans are intellectually lazy, but come on....

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
How about no terrorist attacks on US soil since 9/11 for starters? Better over there then over here.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: teclado

You ask for positives? Well, the possibility for freedom to the Iraqi people is definitely a positive. It's not right for people to have to live in fear while we Americans are too cowardly and selfish to help them.

Cowardly? FYI Bubba, it's not the Americans over there who were too afraid to rise up against Hussien or too cowardly now to make a firm stand against the Insurgents. The only group there that had balls were the Kurds and it's no coincidence that the areas under Kurdish rule are the most stable in Iraq.

Exactly, dump Saddam back in their laps and leave.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Corbett
How about no terrorist attacks on US soil since 9/11 for starters? Better over there then over here.
Why not just concentrate on Afghanistan, after all that was the terrorist hotbed before we destabalized Iraq and made it the terrorist hotbed.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

THere were no terrorist attacks between 1993-2001 .. I guess Clinton did a great job too!

Btw, we killed enough troops over there that 9/11 essentially has happened again.. not to count the 10s of thousands injured.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
It's given all the liberals on this board something to bitch about for over 3 years now. You don't call that positive?? ;)

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
It gives us another military presence near china. Yep, this whole afghanistan thing, iraq thing, north korea thing... u.s. military is gunning for china. No more open door policy! Obviously we can't attack from the north because of that damn wall thing, but pretty soon all china's bases are belong to U.S.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: shadow9d9

THere were no terrorist attacks between 1993-2001 .. I guess Clinton did a great job too!

You forgot ann coulter's cousin/first sexual encounter, Timmy mcveigh. Sure he was homegrown but he was a muslim, i saw a picture of him facing towards mecca once.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Why not just concentrate on Afghanistan, after all that was the terrorist hotbed before we destabalized Iraq and made it the terrorist hotbed.
[/q
Why cant you libs comprehend that we cant change the past? Or couse looking back we shouldnt have gone into Iraq, but now were are there and IRAQ is where the terrorists are trying to win. SO why not take them out while we are there, rather then let them win?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Are you freaking kidding me? Every hear of the USS Cole? Thats just for starters. If you want to bring Clinton into this, feel free, but his lack of doing anything about the Cole WILL be brought up.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Why cant you libs comprehend that we cant change the past?
Who's a Lib, anybody who's not a Neocon?
Or couse looking back we shouldnt have gone into Iraq, but now were are there and IRAQ is where the terrorists are trying to win.
What are they trying to win, a base where they could attack us at home? Hell they'd have their hands so busy with the Sunni/ Shiite Militias trying to run them out of their country that they wouldn't be able to mount any kind of attack on us. The only reason the Iraqi Insurgents deal with them (and most don't) is because they share a common enemy which is the US as an occupying force. Remove that common enemy and there would be no reason for the Iraqis to put up with them.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Are you freaking kidding me? Every hear of the USS Cole? Thats just for starters. If you want to bring Clinton into this, feel free, but his lack of doing anything about the Cole WILL be brought up.
read what you wrote

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Czar

read what you wrote

Sorry. Should I have said, US property instead? SHEESH

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

You are a lib.

What are they trying to win, a base where they could attack us at home? Hell they'd have their hands so busy with the Sunni/ Shiite Militias trying to run them out of their country that they wouldn't be able to mount any kind of attack on us. The only reason the Iraqi Insurgents deal with them (and most don't) is because they share a common enemy which is the US as an occupying force. Remove that common enemy and there would be no reason for the Iraqis to put up with them.

This is a common liberal argument. They do not admit that the terrorists who want US dead are fighting against us in Iraq right now. If we take them out over there, we do not have to take them out over here.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Acanthus
Raised the average IQ of the united states.

*flamesuit*

LOL

Unfortunaltey we only lossed a couple thousand soldiers though. It woul have to be a couple million before we see any real effect.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: bobdelt
0 terrorist attacks on american soil... ok, maybe iraqis didnt do any terrorist attacks, but we did mess up iraq pretty good, im sure that scared some of them.

I stongly says that has little to do with anything. If anything we had more occurance if not likelyhood of terrorist attacks since we've invaded. We had to increase our security which cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ as well as the war figure stated above (if this is not already included in that figure. The amount of money we spent on the war if we just used this to secure our boarder it would of been significatley cheaper.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

You are a lib.
No I'm not, but I'm not a Right Wing Extremist like you Trust me, even Conservatives and Moderates find people like you nothing more than the Lunatic Fringe.

This is a common liberal argument. They do not admit that the terrorists who want US dead are fighting against us in Iraq right now. If we take them out over there, we do not have to take them out over here.[/quote]First of all I never said they weren't there to kill Americans, what I did say is that without us there the Iraqis who do deal with them now would turn on them and try to drive them out.

What we need to stop doing is being Security Forces for the Iraqi's. We defeated Saddam, now it's time for the Iraqi's to police themselves. We can still go after Al Qaeda and other Foriegn terrorist but we need to let the Iraqi's deal with the Militias and the Iraqi Insurgents.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
It has definitely prevented us from not having high gas prices!
And while we can't really be certain, it may have prevented a lot of terrorist attacks on US soil that would have otherwise happened since 9/11.
Also, I feel much more comfortable now sleeping at night knowing that Iraq definitely did NOT have WMD's. I am so relieved.

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: ahurtt
And while we can't really be certain, it may have prevented a lot of terrorist attacks on US soil that would have otherwise happened since 9/11.
Also, I feel much more comfortable now sleeping at night knowing that Iraq definitely did NOT have WMD's. I am so relieved.

My sarcasm meter's in the shop...

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
Originally posted by: ahurtt

My sarcasm meter's in the shop...

I'd let you borrow mine but the needle snapped off because it pegged so hard while I was writing my post.