Can anyone tell a cabbage apart from a lettuce? Or I put cabbage in my sandwhich!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
After waiting in line for 3 hours at the Costco job fair interview, I finally got home. Being quite hungry I made myself a chicken sandwich. Now usually I don't bother looking for lettuce to put on it, but this time I did. I found what appeared to be a ball of lettuce. Took out a few leaves and put it on my sandwhich. After taking a few bites, I realized the lettuce tasted funny, but I couldn't place my finger on it. I figured it was cause I used the outside leaves instead of the inner ones.

Then while picking up my mom from work, I asked her about it. Turns out I put cabbage on my sandwich, rather than lettuce! Of course, mom and various family members are pointing out my incompetence! Luckily, I'm used to that :D

So anyway, can you guys tell the difference between a "ball" of lettuce or cabbage? If so, how??

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
are you stupid? of course we can tell the difference between cabbage and lettuce! lol

the texture, taste, and smell are oviously different.

aolj

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2000
Yeah! Lettuce is not that hard.

Cabbage is crunchier. And doesn't taste good eaten raw. Ack.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
are you stupid? of course we can tell the difference between cabbage and lettuce! lol

Exactly, do you confuse apples and pears, too?

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

Yes to the first question.

I'm talking about telling the difference by JUST LOOKING AT IT. If they are sitting side-by-side in the fridge, can you tell the difference between them?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
yes, i can tell the difference.

cole slaw on sandwiches is really good, btw.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Tyler

Exactly, do you confuse apples and pears, too?

No because pears have a different shape compared to apples.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Yes. Cabbage is tightly rolled, denser, and harder than lettuce.
the leaves "snap" at any point you bend them, unlike lettuce which only has the crunch at the stalks of the leaves.

Needless to say, if you can't tell the difference, you need to eat more vegetables.

And for heaven's sake stay out of the kitchen. We don't want you screwing anything else up.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002

haha I like your sig. "Proud member of the violent ATOT community" I was the one who had the Violent ATOT community in my sig :)

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: amnesiac
the leaves "snap" at any point you bend them, unlike lettuce which only has the crunch at the stalks of the leaves.

Needless to say, if you can't tell the difference, you need to eat more vegetables.

And for heaven's sake stay out of the kitchen. We don't want you screwing anything else up.

Ah thank you for bit about how the cabbage snaps. I will remember that.

btw, I eat vegetables as my primary diet, my mom is vegetarian so its mostly vegetables in our home.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN

btw, I eat vegetables as my primary diet, my mom is vegetarian so its mostly vegetables in our home.

And you still don't know what a freaking cabbage looks like?

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
After waiting in line for 3 hours at the Costco job fair interview, I finally got home. Being quite hungry I made myself a chicken sandwich. Now usually I don't bother looking for lettuce to put on it, but this time I did. I found what appeared to be a ball of lettuce. Took out a few leaves and put it on my sandwhich. After taking a few bites, I realized the lettuce tasted funny, but I couldn't place my finger on it. I figured it was cause I used the outside leaves instead of the inner ones.

Then while picking up my mom from work, I asked her about it. Turns out I put cabbage on my sandwich, rather than lettuce! Of course, mom and various family members are pointing out my incompetence! Luckily, I'm used to that :D

So anyway, can you guys tell the difference between a "ball" of lettuce or cabbage? If so, how??

no wonder there are less people able to cook

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

And you still don't know what a freaking cabbage looks like?

edit. I saw the pics Tyler posted. I'm a dumbass. I confused cabbage with lettuce. I know wat lettuce looks like but I Think i had a brain fart or somethign.

Again, I concede that I am a dumbass.

fatkorean

Dec 17, 2001
That picture is a type of lettuce.. but you might of confused iceburg lettuce with cabbage. Yes they are both round, but the cabbage is thicker and whiter and has bigger leaf veins on it.

-fk

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: fatkorean
That picture is a type of lettuce.. but you might of confused iceburg lettuce with cabbage. Yes they are both round, but the cabbage is thicker and whiter and has bigger leaf veins on it.

-fk

Yes! That's what I'm thinking off! Cause we had that kind back in Nigeria, and I remember picking those fresh from the farm-type shop (you pick your own produce).

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
isnt this something you should have learned like watchign sesame street or mr. rogers!

actually being a nerd and geek you should build a scanner just for this purpose... :p

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
until about 9 months ago i couldn't tell the difference between cabbage and lettuce, or cucumbers and zucchini.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Isla
LOL!

I take it you don't cook much, mAdD INDIAN.

:D

I tried. Apparently I complicate things in the kitchen so I'm not of much use there.

I try though, I try....

Marauder-

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
rolleye.gif