Can anyone recommend a Raspberry PI clone for MAME/retro gaming? (especially interested in Lakka)

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I've heard of some Raspberry pi type clones, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend one to put Linux on and run some retro gaming? I'm especially interested in MAME and early 80's arcade games.

I've read a little bit about Lakka, but have never tried it. I was thinking about finding an el cheapo tiny board PC, installing Lakka on it, then trying to run some early 80's arcade games using an old LCD monitor.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Early 80ies arcade can run on anything...
Just get any android based TV box that has the google store (and the output you need) and download retroarch on it.
Heck if your smartphone has a tv output you can use that to play retroarch.

If you are set on lakka, on the download page of lakka you can get some ideas on the different hardware that it can run on.
If you want something cheaper than a pi4 look for a used pi 1 or 2 or an old office pc.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I was originally looking at using Pi, but everywhere I looked it was sold out, except for resellers who had jacked the price up. I did previously try 2 different no name Android set top boxes, and they both had lockup issues, unfortunately. Right now I'm using a thin client as a Linux Mint PC. They are very widely available in the $40 to $45 range, and fairly small. However, I'm having a tough time comparing benchmarks between those thin clients and the single board computers that I see.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I had a pi3 setup in my arcade cabinet but I opted to go the route of just building a PC for it because there were quite a few games the pi simply couldn't handle, like Killer Instinct, Blitz, and some others. A lot of the midway games like NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat ran crappy as well unless I used a specific emulator for it (mame 2003 vs. advance mame vs. final burn alpha). Now it can handle them no problem. I realize those are newer than the games you sound like you are talking about though but just wanted to mention it.

And the PC I built isn't a new one. It's probably like 10+ years old. It cost me like $280 or so, but like more than half of that was on a 1tb SSD and a PSU.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I had a Pi 4 but prefer the Android box. I took out the guts and put it inside an old PS1. The HDMI and USB out the back fit perfectly in the OEM grommets. That way I have an emulation system that looks a lot more nostalgic and using old broken consoles doesn't flop around on your TV stand like those mini consoles do. I was able to use the original PS1 arcade stick thanks to the universal PS1 to USB adapter. All the switches and buttons work perfectly including rapid fire.

My retropie 4 unit is inside an old Sega master system. I think I posted pics somewhere on here a year back. I also have a broken PS3 fat that I had planned to use for a build but not sure if I'll ever actually get around to it or not.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
And the PC I built isn't a new one. It's probably like 10+ years old. It cost me like $280 or so, but like more than half of that was on a 1tb SSD and a PSU.
Yikes...was that just because of the heat in the cabinet or was there some other reason?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
>>> It cost me like $280 or so,
In part, that is why I am looking at thin clients - there seem to be a LOT of them available for less than $70, & they don't generate much heat or noise. I'd also consider a single board computer, but as I said, I haven't found benchmark comparisons that show performance that can easily be compared.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I've heard of some Raspberry pi type clones, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend one to put Linux on and run some retro gaming? I'm especially interested in MAME and early 80's arcade games.

I've read a little bit about Lakka, but have never tried it. I was thinking about finding an el cheapo tiny board PC, installing Lakka on it, then trying to run some early 80's arcade games using an old LCD monitor.

You don't need it. Buy a cheap used Dell Mini or a NUC and go nuts. Even an older small laptop/netbook will do.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I'd also consider a single board computer, but as I said, I haven't found benchmark comparisons that show performance that can easily be compared.
There is only a very few models of CPUs used in all of these and they come with inbuild graphics so just look at a few youtube videos of people running emulator stuff on android boxes and you will get a good picture on how well each one does.
You where already suggested ETA prime and wicked gamer & collector is another one.

Spoiler: All of the ones in the same cheap price range are all good up to around low PS1 games playing the newer games and bigger/3d arcade games slowish but still kinda playable.

If you can get even a celeron desktop of the last 10 years it will be able to play anything up to ps2 and wii games flawlessly, even with only the iGPU.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
>>> It cost me like $280 or so,
In part, that is why I am looking at thin clients - there seem to be a LOT of them available for less than $70, & they don't generate much heat or noise. I'd also consider a single board computer, but as I said, I haven't found benchmark comparisons that show performance that can easily be compared.
I recently sold my pi2jamma thing for $200 and then in turn built the PC for $280 so it was kind of a wash. Actually it was $340 if I add in the J-PAC to interface the PC with my cabinet.

But I had no clue that pis were so hard to find and expensive now. I remember paying $30 for all 3 of mine when I got em at Microcenter lol. The pi2jamma brand new was like $130. And I sold that + my pi for $200. I was happy about that though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I had a pi3 setup in my arcade cabinet but I opted to go the route of just building a PC for it because there were quite a few games the pi simply couldn't handle, like Killer Instinct, Blitz, and some others. A lot of the midway games like NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat ran crappy as well unless I used a specific emulator for it (mame 2003 vs. advance mame vs. final burn alpha). Now it can handle them no problem. I realize those are newer than the games you sound like you are talking about though but just wanted to mention it.

My old Pentium II 350MHz could handle everything up to Neo Geo pretty well back in the day, so yeah, it shouldn't take much power I'd think.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
There is a 5600G for sale for $110 here on the forums. It would be a great start to SFF retro gaming build that would play much more than older games.

I also thought this was a great idea if you can find one with the right cpu. It's one of those small PCs like you see in your doctor's exam rooms.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
There is a 5600G for sale for $110 here on the forums. It would be a great start to SFF retro gaming build that would play much more than older games.

I also thought this was a great idea if you can find one with the right cpu. It's one of those small PCs like you see in your doctor's exam rooms.

I don't know, if you are starting to spend $200+ on an emulator box, just buy an Xbox Series S, it runs retroarch great.