Can anyone recommend a good cheap power supply?

nx02nx02

Dec 26, 2001
I need a new video card and it seems my current power supply is insufficient for these cards.

So I need a new power supply with a 6 pin PCI-E connector that can run maybe atleast a 9600GT or 9600GSO.

Not sure yet what card i am going to get but i am leaning towards that 9600GSO that's in the hot deals forum.

Im hoping to save as much money as I can on the power supply.

What's the cheapest one that will run a 9600GSO or 9600GT but still be reliable and safe?

nx02nx02

Dec 26, 2001
That looks like a really good power supply but I have a budget of about $100 max before rebates for the power supply and video card.
Would a $40 power supply be skimping too much?

Im thinking maybe that 9600gso in hotdeals and thats about $60 shipped so that leaves $40 for the power supply.

I agree with you though about getting a good quality power supply.
Is there any good quality power supplies for $40 before rebate or is that too cheap?

The computers specs are:
Asus a8nvm
Athlon 64 3800+
1 gig ram
80 gig maxtor hard drive
pioneer dvdrw drive

Lunyone

Oct 8, 2007

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Absolution75
Don't skimp out on a PSU. The damage a poor PSU can do is to high to save $20.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/...p?ProductCode=10009333 Is a solid buy.
$40 AR.

Credits: Slickdeals.net

You say to buy a good quality then recommend an OCZ? No offense against OCZ, but there are several better PSU companies out there. Not to mention that a 600w PSU is way overkill for something with a 9800gt

OP, go with the Antec or Corsair linked above

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: yh125d
Originally posted by: Absolution75
Don't skimp out on a PSU. The damage a poor PSU can do is to high to save $20.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/...p?ProductCode=10009333 Is a solid buy.
$40 AR.

Credits: Slickdeals.net

You say to buy a good quality then recommend an OCZ? No offense against OCZ, but there are several better PSU companies out there. Not to mention that a 600w PSU is way overkill for something with a 9800gt

OP, go with the Antec or Corsair linked above

Of course there are better PSU's out there. OCZ isn't exactly high end, but I'd consider it mid-high end and fairly good quality. You'd really have a hard time finding a better psu for $40.

Lunyone

Oct 8, 2007
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
This looks like a very good psu for its price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/...lies-_-LC5C-_-17182074

I would never recommend a Rosewill PSU. Like previously stated, it isn't worth what they are charging. It only has 21A on the combined 12v rails and is rated @ 25C. The Corsair 400cx has 30A on the single 12v rail and IIRC is rated @ 40C or 50C operational temperatures. So to re-emphasize our earlier statements, please don't skimp out on the PSU quality. You will pay for it one way or another.

mentalcrisis00

Feb 18, 2006
I'm still using a 5 year old Enermax Noisetake 485W with the build that is in my sig, thats also with using one molex to pci-e power and 4pin-8pin mobo adapter which many said was a no no. System runs great and to it's full potential, I was worried initially but thought I'd take a chance because I really didn't want to buy a new PSU. I usually run parts until they can't run any longer and this enermax psu has served me very well. Though I think I payed $80 for it, so at the time it was a higher priced power supply. I would say you don't need to spend an astronomical amount on a PSU but $50 to $100 seems fair depending on the rig.

The thing to watch out for is the amperage not so much the wattage. This website Extreme PSU calculator will give you a general idea of how many watts your system is drawing, it's never as much as you think. The one in my sig only draws about 272W total. Pay attention to the combined amps on the 12V rails, it will say in the PSU specs. As long as it's over 30A it will be sufficient for most builds, mine only has 26A.

Companies that I would personally recommend would be antec, enermax, pc power and cooling, OCZ, Rosewill (yes i know they're budget units but I've built 3 budget gaming rigs and they still run great, one is my sisters and it's been going for 2 years now). I'm sure there are more manufacturers that are just as dependable but these are the only ones I've dealt with.

Hope my long winded answer helps out a little :laugh:

All the best