Can anyone recommend a case for this setup?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Most cases max out at 8 bays. You don't have to mount the SSDs in its own bay. An alternative method is to stack 2 of them and fit it in a single bay, making it possible to fit 4 SSDs in 2 bays leaving more room for HDDs. You could ditch altogether the SSD bay mounting and velcro it to the back of the motherboard tray or somewhere hidden.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Most cases max out at 8 bays. You don't have to mount the SSDs in its own bay. An alternative method is to stack 2 of them and fit it in a single bay, making it possible to fit 4 SSDs in 2 bays leaving more room for HDDs. You could ditch altogether the SSD bay mounting and velcro it to the back of the motherboard tray or somewhere hidden.

The one I linked to has a cage for the 2.5"s. So I don't need 8 bays, just a case that can hold 11 drives.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Silverstone Raven 03 (Silver or Gold)?
Those are listed as having 10 3.5inch bays (with six in 5.25 bays) and 2 2.5 inch mountpoints.
Also, much cheaper than the Lian-Li.

There's also the Supermicro 743i series. That has a door with hot swap bays behind, for convenient access. But from what i can tell, it lacks internal mounts points for HDD/SSDs.

The Chenbro SR11269 is a more interesting candidate from that perspective, and also reasonably cheap, and available from more regular retailers.

From what I can see the TYR-X2000 is also still available in Europe from some retailers. Maybe you can find someone who still has some stock, if the price doesn't put you off. It certainly has the looks department going for it.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Silverstone Raven 03 (Silver or Gold)?
Those are listed as having 10 3.5inch bays (with six in 5.25 bays) and 2 2.5 inch mountpoints.
Also, much cheaper than the Lian-Li.

There's also the Supermicro 743i series. That has a door with hot swap bays behind, for convenient access. But from what i can tell, it lacks internal mounts points for HDD/SSDs.

The Chenbro SR11269 is a more interesting candidate from that perspective, and also reasonably cheap, and available from more regular retailers.

From what I can see the TYR-X2000 is also still available in Europe from some retailers. Maybe you can find someone who still has some stock, if the price doesn't put you off. It certainly has the looks department going for it.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it. I decided to settle for this:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/743/SC743TQ-1200-SQ.cfm

Also, the motherboard I want is from the same firm so there will be only one vendor to contact should things go wrong.