can anyone here say that they're having/had more fun AFTER college and working a full time job?

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
or will I forever kick myself in the ass for not taking advantage of all the opportunities that college offered and taking the time to go wild

the past is past, I'm trying to look ahead but is it really all downhill from here?

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
College, for me, was ful of psychophantic bullshit.

I worked on a timothy hay farm through most of my college years. I did meet a few good friends that I no longer have contact with.

Rogo

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
College = more opportunities with the hotties. The weekend, on the other hand, is what you make it.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
College isn't very exciting for me so far, it sucks that after this is over it's only going to get worse. Life sucks, ugh.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
I partied a lot in college, suer the parties were huge, and it was cool living within walking distance of all my friends. but things are better now as far as fun factor.

1. Chicks in their late 20's are drama free compared to college chicks. Not to mention they are WAY easier to get in the sack.

2. I can afford to drink all I want now. I drink mixed drinks from nice bars instead of watered down pitures of natty from dive bars.

3. I dont have homework. Unless we are near a deadline at work, in which case I just push it back then go get a drink.

4. I can afford to do a lot more fun stuff now, I was a broke mofo in college. If I feel like driving over to Chicago for a long weekend, staying in a nice hotel, go shopping, and hitting up the clubs, I can do it without worrying about paying for it.

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
thanks Train, that gives me some hope and that it's not all downhill after college unlike what many say
I created this thread for reassurance haha

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
When I think of all the worries people seem to find
And how they're in a hurry to complicate their mind
By chasing after money and dreams that can't come true
I'm glad that we are different, we've better things to do
May others plan their future, I'm busy lovin' you (1-2-3-4)
Sha-la-la-la-la-la, live for today
And don't worry 'bout tomorrow, hey, hey, hey
Live for today
We were never meant to worry the way that people do
And I don't need to hurry as long as I'm with you
We'll take it nice and easy and use my simple plan
You'll be my lovin' woman, I'll be your lovin' man
We'll take the most from living, have pleasure while we can (2-3-4)
Live for today
Baby, I need to feel you inside of me
I got to feel you deep inside of me
Baby please come close to me
I got to have you now, please, please, please
Gimme some-a lovin', gimme some-a lovin'
Gimme some-a lovin', gimme some-a lovin'
Baby gimme some-a lovin'
Gimme some-a lovin, I need all your lovin'
Gimme some-a lovin, I need all your lovin'
Give me some love, now
I need all your lovin'
Sha la la la la la
Sha-la-la-la-la-la, live for today.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I want to go back to college (undergrad). I have a full time career now, and Im a graduate student. At this point in my life, life is hell. Im constantly stressed, tired, eating unhealthy, and I feel like a zombie.

So no, life isn't any better after under, at least for me.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
um, it's difference.

college fun was like go to the bar, get plastered, raise hell, and have great stories to tell the grandkids about.

post-college fun is like, hang out, play cards, and have dinner parties.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
its like moving from high school. it was good, it was easy, it was fun, but then it becomes time to move on.
do i miss college? sometimes, sure. but then ill also miss my professional paycheck and the flexibility it brings... vacationing... travelling... eating... drinking... taking up hobbies

you just have to enjoy every stage of life

Tommouse

Feb 29, 2004
College wasn't that great for me. I did manage to find a sweet company though which is very young, so it feels similar to college. Hitting bars after work with co workers, parties, company sponsored events, and just having cool people at work. I enjoy this way more than I ever did in school. Train already laid out the best points, so don't worry. The working world can be great, although no guarantees ;)

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
also... you're never going to have as easy access to getting laid as you do right now in college.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Nope, college was it for me, and even that wasn't really fun. Now I get to repay college loans, work a lame job, and deal with incessant bullshit everyday.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: LS20
its like moving from high school. it was good, it was easy, it was fun, but then it becomes time to move on.
do i miss college? sometimes, sure. but then ill also miss my professional paycheck and the flexibility it brings... vacationing... travelling... eating... drinking... taking up hobbies

you just have to enjoy every stage of life

I agree with this. It's important to recognize the good things of each phase of life, and not try to keep comparing it to the past. Each stage of life will (probably, I am still young so I obviously can't comment on years I haven't experienced yet) have its own unique opportunities and challenges.

Personally, I just started working this summer after undergrad + grad school, and so far have found it to be far better than grad school. I don't think it's really fair to compare it to undergrad - this phase of life is enjoyable for its own reasons, but so was undergrad. Similarly, this phase of life also presents its own set of challenges, but so did undergrad.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
What kind of major were you all in if you thought college was easy??? I'm a bio major and I've never been so stressed in my entire life. My university requires all bio majors to minor in chemistry. I barely made it through Organic Chemistry 1 and I don't think I'm going to pass Organic Chem 2. :(

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Shawn
What kind of major were you all in if you thought college was easy??? I'm a bio major and I've never been so stressed in my entire life. My university requires all bio majors to minor in chemistry. I barely made it through Organic Chemistry 1 and I don't think I'm going to pass Organic Chem 2. :(

I didn't think college was easy, but I think learning how to balance your social and professional life is an important and worthwhile skill to develop.

at least in my experience, your social skills as just as likely, if not more so, to benefit your career than your textbook knowledge... I guess that applies to every career, but when you're looking at a room of people with the exact same qualifications, it counts.

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
I had a lot more free time in college than I do now, but I don't think life's going downhill or I'm having any less or more "fun". Although I do miss the days where I absolutely had no obligations, what I don't miss was the course work and feeling of futility for more than half of my non-related coursework.

I find myself appreciating my free time a whole lot more now than back in college, and the "fun" just comes in different forms. Financial independence from the parents and the road to independent life are exciting and fun in its own way out the door.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
I prefer post-college life, but I think that if I didn't go to college, the life I'm living wouldn't be possible.

I have more money to buy presents for people I like, I don't have to worry about buying groceries, I get paid time off and other people just take care of my work for me while I'm gone, no homework, and I'm no longer forced to spend time with college students, who are almost as bad as high school students.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
Considering college for me was an 8hr factory job and 19 credit hours, life afterwards is more fun.

Toonces

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
also... you're never going to have as easy access to getting laid as you do right now in college.

really? I find it much, much easier now that I'm out of school - unless you're in a relationship the opportunities to 'get laid' after university are quite a bit higher (at least that's been my experience)

I'm having more fun with my life now that school is over

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
haha it isn't even close

never a worry in college until like the day before midterms or finals.

wake up whenever you want, go to class whenever you want

I liked cafeteria food and it was paid for in the housing so it was like free food everyday

Sit around and play video games, talk for hours on end

Talk to girls throughout the night and accidently fall asleep, they're too nice to ever wake you up while you're peacefully sleeping

Spring semester in California :)

million other reasons

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Shawn

I was in Comp E and found university to be much easier. Why? In university you had a reasonable amount of work to do. If you are good you could do things quickly and be done with them. Work is different. There is an unending list of things to do. And if you try to do them faster, you'll just end up doing more things. You just can't get ahead of the game. The work tends to be more boring too because you are working on real products and thus have to deal with all the boring things real products have to go through. It's not like dealing with proof of concept type of things where it's done once you finish the hard part.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
It's true what they say. College is the most fun. Too bad classes get in the way.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: fritolays
or will I forever kick myself in the ass for not taking advantage of all the opportunities that college offered and taking the time to go wild

the past is past, I'm trying to look ahead but is it really all downhill from here?

fritolays: Search my threads. This time last year, I felt the same way as you. When I graduated College, I thought all of my fun was over - that's it, its over, all done. Now, I look back and laugh. So much has changed. I've moved to Boston, I've moved on from College, I've realized who my real friends are/aren't. I miss College, but its part of my past now.

Allow time to past, and do what you feel you need to do to keep life "interesting", even if it involves moving to another area or trying/doing something completely random.