Can anyone direct me to a really good joystick for simulators

WNxCaptCrunch

Aug 27, 2000
I am looking to buy a joystick for a helicopter simulator. I want a really good one, Money no object. so if anyone can give advise please do so.

Brig

Aug 24, 2000
Personally, the best I have seen for total immersion is the Thrustmaster setups (certainly haven't seen them all, of course). The one I use isn't available anymore, but they're 'supposed' to be releasing their new hotas sticks in a couple of months.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
For just a joystick, my Microsoft Precision Pro ( They have Pro 2 out now )is great. But if you want the full setup, like throttle, rudders, etc., I'd go with something from Thrustmaster.

Strike

Sep 29, 2000

illkid,

Did you have any problems getting your Precision Pro to be recognized as connected and OK in the control panel?

I have tried almost everything to get mine to work and it always shows as "not connected".

Tried: Directx7a, new vxd file,

Working only as an analog device using CH Thrustmaster. I need to buy another stick anyway, so now I am wondering what to get also...that won't have a problem

Strike

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I didn't have any problems at all, but I have mine connected through the USB port using WinMe. I have my Sidewinder Gamepad also connected, but to the soundcard. I do remember that before I connected the gamepad, the joystick wouldn't work until I switched to switch one it was since it'd say nothing was connected for #1, while the joystick was OK at #2.

ApacheXMD

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
how bout the Saitek X36 USB hotas setup?
there were some problems with the drivers when it was first released, not sure if they've been fixed.

-patchy

Strike

Sep 29, 2000

Hey illkid,

So connecting it through USB bypassed the problem. I read on MS site that they can have problems on systems with bus speeds with 100Mhz and higher.

Since I have 2 systems and only 1 stick, I am thinking about getting a Logitech Wingman Force 3d. Reviews on it look pretty good, and I like the look of it.

Mine is working OK on switch 1, but when I played MW3, torso twist did not work... kinda sucks!

Glad it is close to the holidays... :) May have to buy myself a present!

Strike

Davbaron

Sep 3, 2000
Hey,Strike andIllkid - I have same problem as Strike - Just got a new 1 Ghz computer from a "Direct to You" corporation like Gateway; Dell: NEC etc where they peload ME and give you a recovery disc. The system won't connect the joystick MS Forcefeedback Pro- I have seen posts on Combatsim.com forums that such systems (ME pre loaded ) have this problem. It works fine on my other Win 98 system.And it works OK for anyone who has upgraded to ME, but pre loaded in new system ???? Trouble !!
So I bought a "fast" puter for flightsims and now I am grounded.
How can I connect via USB, I have a gameport connection for soundcard on my joystick. . Is there an adaptor one can buy or something? I really don't see being forced to buy thePro 2 when I have a terrific joystick when it is connected. Also - how do i know any other joystick will work ? Must it be USB? Be careful buying your Logictech if your system is a "Direct to You" one. Suggestions for a solution greatly appreciated.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Not sure on what the problems with WinMe can be since mine seems to be running fine. My Precision Pro came with a USB adapter that I used. You might need to check the games you use it with itself because I couldn't get MechWarrior 4, the demo, working until I specified with device I wanted it to use. Again, I really don't have a clue on why it's not working on your systems, but I'll try my best to help.

Strike

Sep 29, 2000

Well, I finally exchanged my Force 3d for a Wingman Extreme Digital 3d and love it!!!!

I really dislike the Force Feedback version. It was a pain to center. On the 2 that I tried, the centering tension would not adjust it to center and I would have to find center and it makes it very difficult in certain games.

The WED3D is really great, feels nice, buttons in good locations, and great profiling software.

The ED3D suports USB and standard game port!

Strike

Teatowel

Sep 22, 2000
Maybe I just got lucky with my Wingman force feedback..it centred fine and all the time.

However, if money was no object, I'd get the top of the line Thrustmaster.