Can anybody diagnose this clicking sound coming from my wheel?

cagswag

Apr 6, 2019
15 second video of my cars clicking sound here:

2014 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium (110k miles)
  • brakes just cleaned and reinstalled (sound was audible before brake cleaning)
  • audible at low speeds
  • front right wheel only

Any help would be appreciated!

Feb 25, 2011
Am I supposed to hear that tapping noise, or the creak that happens when the car stops or changes direction?

The tapping sounds like something out of alignment in the brake - possibly as simple as something that's not torqued to spec, a rotor's not quite perfectly flat, or the splash shield on the back is hitting something. Sorry to say I'd just take it apart and put it back together again very, very thoughtfully. Also could get it up in the air, take the wheel off, and spin the hub to see if you can locate the exact source of the noise.

cagswag

Apr 6, 2019
The high pitched rapid clicking when it stops and changes direction is what I'm talking about.

The low frequency single tap noise, I'm not worried about that.
Also the low buzzing is normal too.

Thanks for the reply.

Feb 25, 2011
The high pitched rapid clicking when it stops and changes direction is what I'm talking about.

The low frequency single tap noise, I'm not worried about that.
Also the low buzzing is normal too.

Thanks for the reply.

The creaking sounds suspension related to me. (At least if I'm interpreting the video right - it's only really happening when the cars weight is shifting and once it's moving the noise stops?) Could be a bad bushing or strut mount, etc.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Sounds to me most like you have loose lug nuts. I realize it's the least likely thing to not notice, but if they're torqued good then possibly you have corrosion on the inner nut and a gap between it and stainless covers on them?

cagswag

Apr 6, 2019
Sounds to me most like you have loose lug nuts. I realize it's the least likely thing to not notice, but if they're torqued good then possibly you have corrosion on the inner nut and a gap between it and stainless covers on them?

I think when i torqued the lug nuts i did a good job of making sure each one was tight. I will maybe try switching the lugs from the right wheel to the left wheel and see if the noise changes or switches to the other wheel. Thanks for the response!

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I think when i torqued the lug nuts i did a good job of making sure each one was tight. I will maybe try switching the lugs from the right wheel to the left wheel and see if the noise changes or switches to the other wheel. Thanks for the response!
Don't do this. In fact, take the car to a shop.