• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Can Any Components Be Upgraded Or Should I Build A New One

PrettyNupe2k4

Nov 1, 2020
Here is setup that I built in 2013.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler

MB: ASRock ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards FATAL1TY Z97X Killer

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

SD: Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 2.5"

HD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB 7200 RPM 3.5

VC: EVGA GeForce GTX 970

Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic series TP-750C 750W

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

==================

Mostly used for moderate gaming.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
Here is setup that I built in 2013.
I didn't even need to look at most of your links (BTW why not just list the components here, and not make someone click all of those links to see them all?).

Anything PC built in 2013 would need to be replaced, as there is really no upgrade path with anything that old. Also, take a look at the stickied thread at the top of this sub-forum: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/notice-pc-builders-when-asking-for-input-on-your-projects-please-tell-us.80121/

We have no idea of what you use your PC for. Maybe what you have is still good enough (instead of replacing it all).

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
My 2500K build from November 2011 (exactly nine years!) is still kicking ass, and does everything I need it to do.

Unless you have some crazy gaming/4K transcoding needs, I find it unlikely that you've reached the maximum on that 4790K CPU.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Heya,

The GTX 970 would be the bottleneck at this point for newer games with its limited memory and older architecture.

Look into a RTX 2060 (Super) or later if you want to take a big jump in performance in games, allowing higher resolution and higher settings for quality.

Nothing else is really worth upgrading unless you have a particular need that the core system isn't meeting. And that would be a total rebuild at this point.

The only other thing to do is refresh that SSD with a newer faster one if it's really the original drive from before, it's going to be quite old now; replace with a latest SSD around 1TB to keep performance up as they do not like to be "full" on capacity.

Very best,

ASK THE COMMUNITY