Can Antec Earthwatts 500W Support GTX 260?

skojec

Dec 22, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, but after doing quite a bit of searching I can't seem to find an answer to my question.

In my current rig, I have an XFX Geforce 8800GT 512MB in an Antec Sonata III case with the default Earthwatts 500W PSU. I've had the GPU for about a year, and have had nothing but problems with it. It's factory overclocked, and I've had to use Riva Tuner to drop the clock speeds to spec, and I also have to run the fan at 100% pretty much constantly to keep the idle temps below 71 C. This seems to be getting worse, as I used to be able to play through Crysis, but now I can only run it for a couple minutes before the temp hits 89 and my presets shut the system down.

I am going to RMA the card, but in the mean time, I'd like to get a new one. I like the GTX 260 Core 216, but my worry is the amperage. Nvidia says they recommend 36Amps on the 12V rail, but with my Earthwatts having 17amps on each rail an a total output of 408W, it seems I'm two watts short at 34.

Does anyone know if I should be able to run this card on my system? Other than my 8800, the system has been rock solid, and I'm not overclocking anything and only running a single optical drive.

Thanks!

Moving to the PSU subforum

- AmberClad (Video Moderator)

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
2 17A rails doesn't necessarily mean 34A total (although it looks like it does for this particular PSU)

Basically with that PSU, you're running your motherboard, RAM, fans/lights, optical and hard drives, and GPU off of the same 17A rail. It should work, but that's pushing it.

To be safe now would probably be a good time to upgrade your PSU. The earthwatts is pretty overpriced and underpowered

Something like this silverstone (http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16817163109) would work well for you

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Also, your high GPU temps are probably caused by your case. The Sonata is a pretty good case but it doesn't have much in the way of ventilation. A PCI slot fan below your video card might help a bit by exhausting some of that hot air that your card is creating

skojec

Dec 22, 2008
Originally posted by: yh125d
2 17A rails doesn't mean 34A total

Basically with that PSU, you're running your motherboard, RAM, fans/lights, optical and hard drives, and GPU off of the same 17A rail. It should work, but that's pushing it.

To be safe now would probably be a good time to upgrade your PSU. The earthwatts is pretty overpriced and underpowered

Thanks for the reply, but I'm confused. There are two 12V rails, both with a 17a max output. Since the max wattage is 408W, I was under the impression that to verify the amps on the rail you divide the wattage (408) by the voltage of the rail (12) to get the total amps (34).

I know that two 17a 12V rails don't necessarily mean that you're getting a full 34 amps from your PSU (max wattage comes into play there) but in this case, unless I'm doing something wrong, that seems to work. And from the reviews I've read, these Earthwatts PSUs deliver rock-solid wattage, which may explain why.

Whatever the case, my budget is maxed out at the $260 for the new card. If I've got to get a PSU as well, I'm going to have to delay or get something different.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestion about the case cooling. I know it's a bit deficient - I took the side off last night and that seemed to help stabilize the temps as well.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Explaining how split rails function is kind of hard for me to explain, but I'll try and maybe jonny wiill see this thread and elaborate/correct me

You have 2 12v rails, each of which is limited to 17A total. Your PSU likely doesn't output 34A total, it may output something lesser, which is then split into the two regulated rails. What this means is that if either rail pulls more than 17A, or the combined draw of the two rails together exceeds the PSU's total 12v output (which is likely less than 34A) it will shut down

I hope you understand the point I'm trying to make, I know I didn't explain very well

a123456

Oct 26, 2006
There's a good chance you'll be fine. You are correct that if Antec says 408W max, then you can handle 34A even though you aren't supposed to be able to add the rails. My guess is that they are slightly underestimating the 17A on each rail slightly to be safe to get the combined 34A or that it's really just single rail but they "split" it into 2 for marketing purposes like some companies do. In addition, they managed to lower the wattage needed on the Core 216 version of the GTX 260. See here: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articl...4870-1024_8.html#sect0

The total system wattage under load was under 300W. I've heard of people running the 260 with 450W PSUs but I don't recall the specs on those particular PSUs. I also don't know how well this particular Antec can handle the load but my *guess* is that you'll probably be fine as long as you don't start adding 5 more hard drives, 10 fans and overclock your CPU heavily.

I have no idea where you live, but you can usually get the 260-216 for well under 260 if you time it right with various rebates, like the 17.75% off Newegg/Paypal deal that just happened, where you could get the SSC version for ~210 shipped.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: yh125d
2 17A rails doesn't mean 34A total

You are both right and wrong. :confused:

Generally speaking you can't just add up the rails. However, with this particular PSU, you can. Got it? Here's the combined output of various EarthWatts PSUs

EA380 27A
EA430 30A
EA430D ?
EA500 34A
EA500D ?
EA650 45A

Note that the "D" models and the EA650 are Delta while the others are Seasonic. I believe both to be decent quality so it probably doesn't matter which you have. I don't happen to know the "D" model's outputs. Perhaps AntecRep can chime in?

As for the EA500 supporting a single GTX 260, I believe it can.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I was running a single GTX 260 fine on an older Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w. I'm sure you'll be plenty fine. That's a pretty capable PSU for a single graphics card.

AntecRep

Banned
Dec 22, 2008
Originally posted by: skojec
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, but after doing quite a bit of searching I can't seem to find an answer to my question.

In my current rig, I have an XFX Geforce 8800GT 512MB in an Antec Sonata III case with the default Earthwatts 500W PSU. I've had the GPU for about a year, and have had nothing but problems with it. It's factory overclocked, and I've had to use Riva Tuner to drop the clock speeds to spec, and I also have to run the fan at 100% pretty much constantly to keep the idle temps below 71 C. This seems to be getting worse, as I used to be able to play through Crysis, but now I can only run it for a couple minutes before the temp hits 89 and my presets shut the system down.

I am going to RMA the card, but in the mean time, I'd like to get a new one. I like the GTX 260 Core 216, but my worry is the amperage. Nvidia says they recommend 36Amps on the 12V rail, but with my Earthwatts having 17amps on each rail an a total output of 408W, it seems I'm two watts short at 34.

Does anyone know if I should be able to run this card on my system? Other than my 8800, the system has been rock solid, and I'm not overclocking anything and only running a single optical drive.

Thanks!

Moving to the PSU subforum

- AmberClad (Video Moderator)

Hi skojec,

Hopefully this will help you answer your question. For the current PSU you have, it is sufficient enough to run the XFX GeForce 8800GT. However, we do suggest the EA650.

But it seems like the main issue is the heat. Although Antec tries to design cases to suit all user applications, sometimes more specified designs are better suited for certain needs. In your case, the Sonata III seems to be the culprit. Although we feel this case has good cooling options, it was not specifically designed for gaming. May we suggest something along the Gaming line, such as the 300, 900, or 1200.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Not sure how they compare but my 4870 512 is running on an EW 500 along with an overclocked e8400 (3.7), 8gb ram, 2x500gb hdd, etc... with no issues at all.

RhaegarTargaryen

Dec 25, 2008
Skojec, sorry to horn in :) Your topic is so close to my own that it would feel strange creating my own topic...yet, it may feel stranger riding on your donkey...to...um, that's enough on that front.

I purchased the Antec NSK6580B case with EA430 PS, MSI 260GTX (192), E8400 CPU, WD 640 HDrive, LG Blu-Ray, a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R MoBo and 4 gig ram...

...I'm having trouble finding the threads I wanted to quote from the research I did on here yesterday, so I'll wing it.

Roughly: 5 watts for RAM, 20 watts for Blu-Ray, 20 watts for HD, 153 watts for GPU (I think that's what the graphic said that I cannot find)...total thus (with bulge): about 225 watts

I plan to overclock but not aggressively. The simple answer to the question of whether my new 430 PSU will function well with what I'm throwing at it is: upgrade to a Corsair 750 (eg) and don't worry about a thing. However, I'd rather not if some knowledgeable folk think I can "get by" with the 430. By "get by" I mean not having PSU isssues.

I'm already wishing I'd done a touch more research - PSU has 1 6 pin connector. GPU wants 2. Bummer. Frankensteining this to that connector to work with that one isn't a strong suit of mine. If I understood what I read of jonnyGURU's post(s), the GPU and everything else but the CPU would be pulling from one 12v rail.

Okay, I'm a fish out of water with this and feel like I'm all talking way beyond my knowledge. Going back to simple:

Do you think the 430 would suffice in this system?

Thank you,
Rhaegar

Edit: PS: Merry Christmas!

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007