can an alignment be done with a bent wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
potentially stupid question here

lets say you hit the worlds biggest pothole and dinged up a part of the wheel -- the lip of the wheel, 2" in linear length, was bent in (radially towards center) .5"

obviously a hit that damaging also knocked the alignment out of whack. can you get an accurate alignment reading and repair first, or would the wheel need to be replaced?

im not sure if the suspension components are damaged as well, or if its only the alignment.

-if it is only the alignment, then i can simply replace the wheel, and pay for alignment, out-of-pocket.
-if the suspension is damaged, then i would pay for everything from insurance. (buying a replacement wheel, and then claiming insurance for the rest, seems like a mess)

visually atleast it does not seem like suspension pieces are effed.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
well, i called a reputable place around here and they said that "if its bent a little bit at the lip, we can 'work around it'"... so i'll see

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I have hit some of NYC's finest potholes. And destroyed the rim, tire and knocked out the alignment (usually toe). But if your car still drives straight either with the same or the spare tire on it, then you will be fine. If it does not something has moved or been bent. And some insurance companies will still use that claim against your rates later on. State Farm is pulling this on me (for hitting a curb, ruing 2 tires, 1 wheel, tie rods and alignment)

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Depends how bad the wheel is bent. Most alignment machines attach to the lip of the wheel. A small local ding in the lip won't affect anything, you just don't place the equipment there. If it's bad enough that the wheel is out of plane or something, then no.

Status
Not open for further replies.