Can an air vent style phone holder in a car cause damage to a smart phone?

logicalxm

Jul 21, 2009
Hi,

I have an iPhone 5s and wanted to purchase a mount for the phone for my car in order to use Google Maps more conveniently while driving.

As opposed to windshield mounts, I prefer the "air vent" type of mounts, as I can see the screen closely.

I was wondering if using an air vent mount holder , which implies that the phone will be in proximity to the air conditioner vents can actually damage the phone?

I'm not a huge user of the car's A/C system but during winter time I have no choice.

Is the fact that the blowing of hot/cold air from the vents towards the phone implies that the phone might be impaired or slowly deteriorate? I have no idea if an iPhone, or any smartphone for that matter can be sensitive to heat and cooling.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I've used a vent style holder for all of my phones - iphone and android, never had an issue.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Used vent-holders for years. No issues.

If you're really concerned about heat, use a vent mount that's bulky enough to put a lot of protective material + decent distance between your phone and direct airflow from the vent. Something like this:

invent-universal-phone-vent-holder-p27265-k.jpg

Also, depending on your vents you can generally use the side-to-side directional tabs to aim the air away from the phone. (So long as your mount doesn't obstruct them.)

Oh, and if you're still super-concerned, bypass the vent mounting altogether and look into a custom KUDA or ProClip mount for your make/model of car: http://www.kudausa.com/ http://www.proclipusa.com/

Last edited:

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
let me save you some money.
get 2 rubber bands that you prolly have in the house already. put them on the visor. slide your phone in between the rubber bands. now you can see the map even easier!
this is not my car below. but you get the idea. you can put the phone on either side of the visor, whether the visor is up or down.
38754d1339880888-sun-visor-short-comings-photo-3-.jpg

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
let me save you some money.
get 2 rubber bands that you prolly have in the house already. put them on the visor. slide your phone in between the rubber bands. now you can see the map even easier!
this is not my car below. but you get the idea. you can put the phone on either side of the visor, whether the visor is up or down.
38754d1339880888-sun-visor-short-comings-photo-3-.jpg

I don't know about your car, but in mine when the visor is down like that... I can't see the road.

I use this and it works pretty well. I wish it articulated more, but in my car, it's puts the phone in a pretty good position for me.

logicalxm

Jul 21, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys.
Feel safer now buying the air vent older.

luv2liv: The visor mount is cheap but will surely obstruct my view. There are many under $10 car mounts on eBay that look sturdy and well built.

FallenDay

Banned
Feb 10, 2015
I know this is an old post and this "thing" probably didn't exist then but in case you guys are looking for a good car phone holder, I purchased this a few weeks ago and I am really satisfied with it so I was thinking of sharing it with anyone who is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
I havnt heard of anyone saying that the cooling/heating from a vent effected their phone but it is always possible when dealing with extremes. The one thing I would worry about is if you accidently snap the fins in the vent, that shiat aint cheap or easy to fix(part for one vent was over $100 and you need to tear off the whole dash to pull it out from behind) ! Nore is it a load bearing structure.

MarkCrystal

Feb 2, 2018
This one is probably one of the better ones around. Not all car vents allow you to place smartphone within fingertip reach of steering wheel. Not all windshield depths are alike also. Not all magnets are strong enough to hold an iPad as well.

I use this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PogPiM6GsTs

Last edited: