Can a Verizon no-contract mobile hotspot be activated on a postpaid account?

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Hoping someone knows the "yes/no" answer offhand and so can save me the effort of digging around for an answer myself. Can one use a NIB Verizon no-contract mobile hotspot on a postpaid VZW plan straight out of the box, or are they like their prepaid phones, where you have to use them as prepaid devices for 6 months or some other time period before they can be activated on a postpaid account (if ever)? TIA.

Last edited:

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I have VZW Hotspot on my paid up Moto. It has a monthly fee, but for me is my most important feature. The Jetpack can be prepaid. Hoped this can address some of your question:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/prepaid-mobile-broadband-faqs/
Thanks. In addition to entirely unlocked devices, I know they sell versions of their hotspot devices for immediate use with postpaid plans, but the one that caught my eye (a "Daily Deal" at Best Buy) has the prepaid-plan "PP" suffix on the model number (specifically, it's the "Ellipsis Jetpack 4G LTE No-Contract Mobile Hotspot", Model MHS800LPP), and what I'm wondering is whether VZW restricts those to prepaid usage for some time period before they can be activated on a postpaid plan. They do that with some of their the inexpensive prepaid phones - you can only only activate those on postpaid accounts after they've been used on a prepaid account for 6 months, for example...

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Good question. Probably the best answer would come from VZW. Have you tried on-line chat?

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Good question. Probably the best answer would come from VZW. Have you tried on-line chat?
Not yet, I was hoping someone might be able to just give me a quick yes or no...

ETA: Meh - the more I search, the more reviews and posts I read complaining about this particular model in general, so I'm just going to pass, though I did see one or two passing references suggesting that, like the prepaid phones, a specific hotspot model intended for use with a prepaid account could not in fact immediately be activated on a postpaid VZW account...

Last edited: